Chapter 11

We sit down by the others, after grabbing some food. I just grabbed a bag of chips and a sub sandwich, and Shay grabbed my drink, just a tea, for me.

I am sitting between her and Nadia. "Did you guys have fun?" Mom asks, peeking over at us from her table.

"Yah mom. It was great. Now go eat." She gives me that,'Attitude!' look, but turns back around.
"I heard some old guy talking about the apocalypse or something." Nadia starts talking, but I kind of zone out. 

I don't know what happened exactly but I remember Nadia grabbing my arm, and when I come to my senses I hear an alarm, a really loud alarm, sounding off. People are dividing us up.

Mom and Dad find me in the chaos, and keep me close. They send us separate from my friends. "Mom, what's happening?" I ask, as we jog with the others.

"I don't know honey. I think it was a breach." She responds. I huff as we start jogging down stairs, beginning to get tired. I can hear screams from farther up, and I wince with each one, terrified of what is happening.

I start slowing down, but Dad just picks me up and continues to go. I dont know how long the authorities usher us down the stairs, but we finally make it somewhere.

An older lady undoes the large vault door in front of us, and people pour in. I jump down from dad's arms, and follow Mom.

I look around. It just looks like hundreds of bunk beds and cubbies on walls. "Well... I guess we know it was a breach now." I bring up, as Mom finds a bed for us.

When everyone gets inside, they lock up the doors. Someone grabs a bullhorn, and starts explaining.

"Someone has been followed. We are under lockdown. The bureau has invaded."

I squeeze my fists tight. Someone yells,"I thought they got blown up!"

Again, the woman with the bullhorn,"Well you thought wrong. They have somehow survived, and presumably followed somebody here. Stay at your bunk bed, we can distribute snacks and waters shortly." 

She sets it down, and the room explodes in talking once again. I decide to lay down, and stay calm. I am still sore from working out so much, I could definitely use some rest. 

It isn't long before I fall asleep, letting all the stresses melt away. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Nadia shakes my arm, waking me up. I rub my eyes and sit up. Most people are sitting down eating or drinking, and it is definitely more quiet than when I fell asleep. 

I sit up,"What do you need Nadia?" I ask, pushing my body up off the bed. 

"Everyone fell asleep. I needed someone to talk to." She says, tapping her foot. I laugh,"You are so much like Aunt Christina." 

She smiles,"Oh I know. She taught me everything I know." 

We walk around, looking for anything interesting. We walk by a woman talking to someone in a guard uniform. I overhear something,"We have to use them. It's the only way to get rid of the bureau!" She says. 

So many thoughts cross my mind. I  think about asking about it, but then they would know i overheard them. "Hey, Nadia, I'll be right back." I say, and quickly run back around. I find Mom and Dad. 

"Guys, come here!" I say, pulling their arms. "Whats wrong Natalie?" Mom asks, extremely concerned. 

"I overheard somebody say that the only way to get rid of the attackers is to use the divergents. Can't we help without them knowing we left?" I ask. I know that it isn't safe, but I don't want anybody to die for our lives. 

"No way Nat! There is absolutely no chance I will let you get hurt again!" Dad says, putting his foot down. 

"Seriously! People who aren't like us have no chance against them if we don't help. If I get hurt at all, I promise I will come back." I argue. He furrows his eyebrows, thinking. 

"I don't know if I want you to risk yourself Natalie. I don't want to be that terrified again. If I can stay with you, maybe we can help." He suggests. 

"I don't care how we do it, as long as we can help the people are are helping us." I say. They agree, now comes the problem of getting out. 

We go to a corner, where people are mostly cleared out. "Mom and I could try and melt through a door. That should work, as long as we find somewhere other than the main door." Mom suggests. 

Dad shrugs,"You guys are the experts, I am just going to get the guns." 

After a little more planning, we break off. Mom and I go through a back hallway. The guards are all at the front door, so it isn't difficult to get through. 

I spot a door in the distance, with a large lock on it. "Mom come here! I found something!"I whisper-shout to her. 

"Coming!" She replies, jogging over. We both put our hands over the door. It is almost mesmerizing to watch the metal melt under our hands. There are still dozens and dozens of stairs up to the top. We cover the hole with sturdy branches, and freeze it over. Since our ice does not melt, it stays put. 

We run up the stairs, propelling ourselves with wind to go faster. As soon as we begin to hear noise, we slow down. "You get the first one. Burn don't kill." I whisper. 

We both jump up, but before we can do anything...

CLIFFHANGER