Chapter 14

I finish taping up the last of the boxes. Nadia is fixing her makeup, of course.

"Hey, come help me bring the gifts out." I shout. She puts a compact back in her bag, and grabs a few things.

I grab what I can and we walk over to the table. We get to use an empty room for the party, and have some people we don't even know who are coming.

Our parents are "helping", which means talking about your kids and ordering us around in parent language.

"So put the big gifts on that side, small in the middle, and we will put cards on the other end." I explain as Nadia sets down her armful.

We finish sorting them out and make last minute touches on decorations.
Finally, people start arriving. It ends up being me, Nadia,  Shaylee, Rebekah, my uncles and aunts, and kids Mark met here that I do not know.

I decide to sit back and relax until Mark arrives. Nadia comes to sit by me,"I think it came together. Mark will be here soon." She says, slumping down beside me.

"I hope. I would almost rather go home to take a nap, but it's a friend so I'll be nice."

Nadia laughs,"Of course."

I hear someone run, and then whisper shout,"Everybody shut up and get down! He's coming!" I just stay where I am, he can't see me much on the chair anyways when lights are off.

Everyone quiets down, and either goes to sit behind something or tries to blend in with something. His footsteps approach, and the door freaks open.

"Hello?" Everyone jumps up, and screams,"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Well, except for Nadia and I.

Mark jumps back, and screams like a little girl. Everyone laughs, and he laughs with them.

"Um... Thank you?" I don't know what to say in this situation."

I roll my eyes,"How about a thank you, I am tired from arranging this!"

He laughs,"Well thank you."
His parents turn the music back on, as Nadia and I go to prepare the cake and dishes.

Everyone dances awkwardly, like it was a middle school dance.
Mark walks over to help us set it up.
"Thanks Nat. It's really nice."

I smile,"No problem. I'd say it turned out well."

Mark takes some plates out of the packaging, as I put the candles on the cake. It's his favorite, strawberry. "Alright everyone!,"Mark yells,"Cake time!"

Everyone gathers around the table. I light the candles with my fingers. Mom starts the song,"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Mark! Happy birthday to you!"
Uncle Uriah adds,"You live in a zoo, you look like a monkey! And you smell like one too!"

I laugh,"Only you."

I take out the candles, and Mark cuts the cake. Nadia and I start passing it out, making sure everyone gets some before us.

Finally, everyone else has a peice, but only one is left. "Split it?" I ask Nadia.

"Nah, I don't need it."

I smile,"Thanks." I put it on my plate and we go sit down. Everyone has their own separate conversations as they eat. However, I stay quiet, food is more important than talking. Atleast in my mind.

Once everyone is done, we go to the gift table. "How did we get these? I thought we weren't allowed to leave." Mark asks as he sits down.

"They let Nadia and I go get them today." I explain.

"I'm surprised."
"So was I!" Nadia chimes in.

Everyone gathers around him. "Open that one first!" Shaylee insists, pointing to the box wrapped in blue paper. I laugh a little, knowing what's in there. She had a very special request.

He hesitantly grabs it, and opens it slowly. At first he just laughs, and holds up the putty. "It's fart putty. The note says,"Something that doesn't smell as bad as yours but sounds the same."

Everyone laughs,"Isn't it true!" Shaylee insists. Mark smirks,"Ok it is."

He grabs the card, and opens it. To his surprise it is filled with glitter, which dumps all over him. I start laughing like a maniac. He sits there red faced, not mad, just surprised.

"Ok then." Shaylee laughs, and gives him a hug. "Sorry, but really, there's really a certificate for 50 credits in there."

Mark opens up the card, and is then met with a glitter bomb to the face.

He laughs, wiping it off of his face and onto Shaylee. "Ok, I deserved that."

He looks at the card,"Well atleast there is actually 50 credits."
After cleaning up the glitter, he continues opening gifts.

In total, he has a few new shirts, 200 credits, the fart putty, and a new phonecase.

Finally, the party ends. The parents clean up, and I drag myself back to the apartment, ready to sleep.