Chapter 28: "You are the wailing witch"

It has been said that all love begins and ends with she who gave us life; a thousand years ago our mother turned us into monsters. Yes still she claimed to love her children even as she vowed to destroy them. The noble Elijah, tormented by long buried shameful secrets. Kol the wily trouble maker out for no one but himself. Fin the devoted acolyte his love all too easily warped by our mother's sick hate. Fierce Rebekah willing to risk anything on the chance she might one day find happiness. Stoic Layla, willing to fight all her battles alone turning her bleeding heart to iron to survive. Then me the bastard child, my mother's greatest shame. Now finally we have defeated her, giving her the choice she never thought to give us, to live on like one of the monsters she created, or suffer the slow agonising death she so deserves.

Upon waking from her nap Klaus had sent her address quickly. Driving down the road she climbed out of the car and Elijah smiled at her having heard of Layla's transition. "I see you took her offer." Elijah commented as she walked into the house.

"And I see you went on a rampage." Layla bit back with a soulful smile.

"Niklaus wished for you to meet Hope." Elijah handed the small child to Layla who took it brushing the child's face softly.

"She's a bit bald isn't she?" Layla inquired raising an eyebrow.

"Of course you'd make that comment." Elijah stated sighing.

"Hm of course I have. Did you ever read a quote? 'There is a phantom that flies with the banshees. It strangles the throat, pierces the heart and consumes the body with pain that only time and tears can expel that's the pain a banshee lives with.' The body I have taken, she's a witch but also a banshee. She was a strong woman, I do indeed feel pity I had taken her body but for once I do feel lingering peace. I feel the need to scream because I see it, I feel it, I feel death everywhere around us. Around me. But for once I am not burdened with the need to kill and maim and harm. I can live in my blissful morality for the first time in a thousand years." Layla confessed placing Hope down greeting Elijah with a warm smile.

"Being a vampire made you a more intense version of yourself. How do you seem so different?" Elijah inquired as the two sat down and Layla's blue eyes stared outside looking around.

"When I was a vampire, I was scorned for reasons I have not divulged. Then I was happy for a short while then I was scorned again. I was scorned too many times in my life and left to the pitiful dark nothingness you would never understand. But I was in love again. I've always had a cruel streak. I won't deny that but I'm happy. The urge to kill it made me full of darkness Elijah." Layla informed him. The next day she was standing in her room throwing her long hair into a ponytail. She had yet to get used to this body. Walking out of her bedroom she bumped into Kol and he grunted looking down at her.

"We're stuck inside sister; you'll need to help me get it down." Kol informed Layla who raised her eyebrow turning to the edge of the balcony.

"My magic is out of control Kol I can't do anything. I saw what happened to Esther; I made her bleed when all I wanted was to send her a little headache I made her fall the ground bleeding. I tried a cloaking spell on my body I teleported it and turned it to become undetected." Layla sighed running hands through her hair.

"It's because of the banshee side of you. You are an harbinger of death it's causing you pain and unpredictable power." Kol summarised with pursed lips. She then crouched down in pain holding onto Kol who helped her down and he walked over to Klaus handing him Layla. "She's a banshee witch with zero control on her power, she's in pain look after her while I try to get this under control" Kol ordered waking. Klaus looked down at his younger sister who held her eyes tightly shut drawing in deep breathes. She then opened her eyes one a vampire and a wolf started to shove each other. Layla took a drink of alcohol watching as the vampire's bloodlust increased and a werewolf had his arms cut open and another few tried to drink only for one of the vampires to shove them away breaking their necks. Once they opened the barriers for 60 seconds Layla ran standing by Kol giving him a grateful smile. Klaus then ran up to Kol throwing him inside.