Chapter 33: Breaking Point

Saturday morning and I'm up early. Well, early in teenager time. The sun was already up in the sky by the time I rolled off my bed and got ready for the day. Julian planned a day out today, which made me very anxious and antsy all morning. Instead of my usual sidebraid I had straightened out my long, dark brown hair so that it framed my face. I had applied a generous amount of makeup onto my face so my tanned skin shone and I was dressed in a purple peplum top and liquid leggings.

As I'm running my brush through my hair for the umpteenth time, the doorbell rings. Surprised, I drop my hairbrush back onto the counter and exit the bathroom. Julian isn't supposed to be here for another half hour.

My boots stomp against the staircase as I descend downstairs and move to the front door, opening it. Surprise overcomes my features when I spot Sandy leaning on the doorframe. 

I'm not so much surprised to see her as I am to note her appearance. Her usual sandy blonde hair is messy and ragged, as if she had been running her fingers through it. Her green eyes are dull and there are heavy bags under her eyes. Her eyes are watery and what looks like tear taracks decorate her face.She stumbles in when I open the door.

"Sandy, what happened?" I ask in alarm as I help her stand.

"It's nothing, can I crash here for a little while though?" she asks, a sense of urgency in her tone.

I nod and help her up the stairs and into my bed. When I pull the comforter over her, she's already fast asleep. I sigh, sinking into the chair near my desk. Obviously she'd be out for a few hours just based on her appearance and I wouldn't get answers until then. Running my fingers through my hair, I pull out my phone from my pocket. My heart is pumping as I type out a text to Julian.

I may have to take a raincheck today, something's come up. Sorry. -Autumn.

Satisfied with the text, I move to put my phone away again, but just as i begin to do so, it vibrates in my hand. Jumping, I turn to the screen where there's a text from Julian. Wow, that was fast.

It's okay, do you need me to come over? -Julian

No, it's fine, but thanks -Autumn

Are you sure, I was just going to drive over anyways -Julian

I promise it's fine, Julian. I just have to look after someone for a little -Autumn

Okay, but keep in touch- Julian

Fine. I gotta go but I'll talk to you later- Autumn

Alright, bye xoxo- Julian.

I blush at his last text as I put my phone away. Julian did seem really sweet at time like this, it made my heart melt. I smile wistfully but it fades as Sandy stirs in her slumber. Julian shouldn't be on my mind right now, it should be helping my friend.

Getting up from my seat, I exit my room as go to make something for Sandy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It's seven O'clock at night when Sandy makes a reappearance.

I'm watching Netflix in the living room when I hear the slight shuffling of small feet on the wooden floors. Turning away from the bright screen, I turn to see Sandy making her way to me. She's shuffling like a zombie but she looks slightly better. The bags have slightly faded and it looks like she's washed her face. I give her a gentle smile when she notices me and she does the same, but it doesn't reach her eyes.

"There's food in the kitchen if you want some" I say as I pause my show, getting up so I can fully face her.

She nods and moves to the kitchen, me following amiably. We take a seat and I uncover the pasta that was wrapped up. Sandy raises an eyebrow and I shrug. She should know by now how awful a cook I am.

We both scoop the pasta into dishes, but Sandy isn't actually eating the food. She's pushing around the pasta in her bowl, not bothering to stuff it in her ,mouth. When she meets my eyes, her eyes dart away immediately and she lets out a heavy sigh. Just by this I can tell she's going to open up about why she looks like she's been to hell and back.

What I didn't expect, were the tears.

As soon as the sigh leaves her mouth, her body starts shaking and I can hear the distinct sound of sobbing, Taken aback, I pause for a moment before scooting over so i'm next to her. I know it must be bad if Sandy's crying, I've only seen her cry a handful of times.

"Sandy, what's wrong?" I mutter into her hair as she buries her tear-streaked face in my shirt, Not knowing what to do, I stroke her back and hope it's reassuring.

Sandy doesn't respond straightaway, just sobs uncontrallably into my sweatshirt, which I had changed into as soon as Sandy was in bed. I can feel the watery tears seep through the material of my sweatshirt.

"M-my d-d-dad, he-he..." Sandy's voice cuts off as she begins another round of sniveling. My hands immediately bunch into fists.

Sandy's never had a strong connection with her father. Although it's not like my case where he's dead, Sandy's dad was a bit... physical. It had stopped a while back but...

"H-he went out drinking tonight again. When he came home h-he came u-upstairs a-and..." she starts to talk but I place my hand over her mouth. She looks up at me in confusion, her eyes glassy and wet.

"I know, Sandy, it's okay" I say calmly and her eyes widen before she starts another round of sobbing again.

It's like this for a few more hours. Sandy cries until there's no tears left. I know she's broken just by how she's currently laying on my bed after showering and dressing in a pair of my sweats and a t-shirt. After texting Julian, I bring a blanket downstairs and, like Sandy, fall asleep.

_________________________________________________________________-

Sad but necessary chapter. So yeah, Sandy has an abusive father,

Sorry for not keeping to my daily update schedule, school's been impossible and I'm losing inspiration. Thank god I have the next few chapters already planned out so all I have to do is write them.

SOng of the Chapter... the Lonely by Christina Perri. I'll post the video in a while I'm taking a shower and then I have to do my BOATLOAD of homework.

Autumn on the side!