Chapter 5

***Serena's POV

I slowly open my eyes, and I see dark brown wood above me. I sit up, and realize I'm in Grovyle's handmade shelter. It's similar to a Bidoof's dam, but the walls are smooth, and is definitely alot cozier.

I also have a blanket wrapped around me. I must've fallen asleep while I was crying. I sigh, and slowly get up, remembering I have a bad ankle.

"Minun!"

"Huh?"

Minun is next to me, with her face in the ground. She must've been sleeping with me, and I knocked her to the ground when I stood up.

"Oh, I'm sorry Minun!' I apologize, picking her up.

She has an annoyed look on her face. Dirt is stuck on her face.

"Minun."

She shakes her head, the dirt scattering all over the place.

"Stop it!" I giggle, as Minun stops and smiles.

"Minun!"

She hops out of my hands, and runs towards the opening of the shelter. She then gestures me to follow her.

I shrug, and I follow.

...

"Wow."

I gasp, as I see a beautiful lake shining brightly in the light. There's tons of different types of Pokemon are bathing and playing in the water. Minun runs towards it, and I quickly follow.

I slowly kneel at the end of the lake, and cup some water in my hands to wash off my face. I instantly feel better. I then look down to my reflection, and gasp.

My eye isn't completely swollen shut, but it has a dark purple color to it. My other eye is puffy and red from all the crying. My lips are chapped, my cheek is still slightly red from the slap, and there's still dirt on my face. My hair is a mess. It's all fuzzy, and it's now more of a very light brown than nice golden color. Then I look at my dress. It once was a beautiful black and red dress, radiating its colors wherever it goes. It's now covered in dirt, blood, and tear. It's now as dull as an used up rag.

"Who am I anymore?" I ask, reaching for more water and splashing my face once again.

"Mi?"

I look over, and I see Minun sitting next to me with a frown.

"Oh, don't worry about me Minun, I'm fine! I'm just sad. I just been so helpless, and I don't know what to do. I just feel like hiding somewhere, curl up into a ball, and never come out." I explain, looking once again at my reflection.

"With Ash, I felt like I could do anything, because I knew he was there, supporting me. Now, here I am in Hoenn, trying to be a Pokemon Coordinator, and I was lucky enough to win my first contest! I know I can win without Ash, but after what happened, I just don't know who I am. I was weak. I couldn't defend myself. If you guys weren't around, who know what could've happened to me! And now with Ash gone, all I can do is worry about him. I want to help him. I have to! But I just don't know how, because I'm so weak," I sigh, putting my hands on my face.

"Never give up until the very end."

I look up, and I see Jason looking down at me. Pichu and Plusle are both sitting on his shoulders.

"Ash told me that once. And he's right. If you have a reason to fight, then keep on fighting until you can't anymore! And don't beat yourself over what happened Serena. You reacted how any person would. And besides, not anyone can break free from a Hariyama hold like that. You aren't as helpless as you think you are," he says, as Pichu and Plusle both jump from his shoulders to Minun. They quickly begin conservating.

He's right. I can't give up! I need to fight, so I can find and help Ash! But there is one thing that's bothering me though.

I raise my eyebrow.

"Jason, how did you know I broke free from a Hariyama?You arrived after that." I ask, as I stand up and confront him. He steps back, and begins to run his fingers through his hair.

"You see, I, um-"

"Now that I think about it, all of you were there!"

Plusle, Minun, and Pichu stop speaking. They all turned to look at me, then quickly avoid eye contact.

Jason sighs.

"Look. I knew that masked man was coming for you. I knew he was extremely dangerous and I could've warned you and we could've avoided the whole situation. But instead, I went undercover, and let it happen. I wanted to see if I could get more information out of him to see if we could locate Ash. I wasn't going to let him-"

I punch him right in the mouth.

"So you're telling me you let me get hurt! What kind of person are you? How can you let him do this to me! He could've raped me!"

Jason says nothing, as he slowly gets up, holding his jaw.

"You're lucky I'm not going to throw you into this lake for you to be eaten by a Gyrados! The only reason I'm not is because you're my ride out of here!"

I grab him by the collar of his jacket.

"Now, where is Ash?"

Jason looks at me, his eyes cold.

"I don't know."

I punch him again, this time on his nose. I gasp when I see blood on my fist. I fall to my knees. I hold my wrist, staring at my fist, shaking.

What have I done? I would have never done this before. Before all of this. What's wrong with me?

The three mice pokemon run over to me, and engulf me in a hug. I'm shocked by their reaction.

Jason gets up again, holding his nose.

"It's ok Serena, I deserved that. I deserve much worse," he says, his voice muffled.

He gets on one knee in front of me, and looks into my eyes.

"I'm sorry Serena. I should have never let that happen. I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you by helping you find Ash, help you get Braixen back, and I promise, I will never do that ever again," he says, as he wraps his free arm around me.

I sigh.

I can tell his apologize is genuine. Plus, a hug is what I've been needing since the attack.

"I forgive you. Now please, go get your nose cleaned up. I don't want any more blood on me." I say, giving him a small smile.

"I will, as soon as we get back to camp, and we'll leave right after," he says, letting go and helping me up. We walk off back into the forest, headed back to camp.