The Sorting

Soon they reached the station, they had just gotten changed into their school clothes and were getting ready to get of off the train, Crabbe and Goyle had turned up near the end of the journey and sat closest to the door acting as body guards for all those inside. When they were on the platform they left their luggage in the allotted space and followed the sound of Hagrid's booming voice calling for all the first years. As he walked up he was enveloped by the oaf himself and treated to a near bone crushing hug, he wanted to let lose and break one of the man's arms or worse but Tom had told him to play it safe and act like the golden boy. So, he stood there and accepted it without complaint.

On the train, they had all worked out who would be sorted first and all vowed to end up in the same house to stop them getting split up and making the mission more difficult. The most likely candidate was Slytherin.

They all got into the rickety looking old boats, Harry, Ron Hermione and Draco in one Crabbe and Goyle in the other. The sight of the castle was amazing, the tall spires that reached for the clouds covered in spots of gleaming light from windows, ivy was climbing up one of the walls nearest to them. "Wow" Ron breathed as he looked around himself, twisting to get a better view of the castle before it disappeared. Harry had to agree with that statement, suddenly the boat turned and they were headed straight for the ivy.

"Duck!" Hagrid yelled, Hermione shivered and looked disgusted at the feel of the wet leaves previously dragging in the water running over her. Soon they entered a cold and damp cave underneath the school, the boats moored themselves on the jetty. The students stepped out carefully, Harry and his posse in the lead.

"Hermione, where were you?" came a cry from a small boy that ran up to the group

"Who is that?" Harry asked Draco.

"He, I believe, is called Nevil Longbottom, he is from a pure blood line but they are considered blood traitors and poor wizards at that. However there are a few wizards in their line that are worthy of note." He answered.

'Looks like Draco is the person I should go to about info on people.' Harry thought as he looked back at Nevil, humming to show he had heard.

"I am sorry Nevil I forgot, I was caught up talking to Harry, Draco and Ron here and lost track of time."

"Why are you apologising to Longbottom? You are one of us now, act like it." Draco demanded, suddenly there was a shout from Hagrid about a missing toad, Nevil gave the group one final look and walked away to collect Trevor. Soon they were walking through the cavernous entrance hall, Hagrid handed them over to Professor McGonagall.

"Soon the ceremony will begin please wait out here until then." She said briskly after a speech that to be honest none of the leading group were listening to. Before turning into the Great Hall. So, the four began to talk among themselves.

"How do you think we are sorted?" asked Hermione craning her neck to look at the doors.

"They place a hat on your head and it sorts you into your house." Said Draco matter-of-factly seeming indifferent to everything going on around them. "So now is our last chance to pick the house."

"It would be easiest to hide in Hufflepuff and we are all most likely going to Slytherin, the other houses are out of the question as we debated before. So, it is between those two, we just have to decide which house has the most benefits. After all the Dark Lord told me we could choose." Harry said in a low voice as Crabbe and Goyle stood between the group and the rest of the crowd, protecting their privacy.

With a sigh Hermione looked to the celling, "In my opinion Slytherin would be best, sure we can keep a lower profile in Hufflepuff but that might have the opposite effect and either way Harry being sorted anywhere but Gryffindor will arouse suspicion." She said looking back at the boys "I vote Slytherin." Draco and Ron considered her statement and agreed with her. Even so, Harry had the say.

With a look around he said, "I agree Slytherin it is." Just then ghosts burst out of the walls near the celling and floated over the heads of the children beneath. Looking down, one of them was talking "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance- "

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he diserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost- I say what are all you doing here?" Said a ghost in ruffles. Nobody answered and the Friar quickly worked it out.

Soon Professor McGonagall came out and collected them "Now form a line and follow me."

Soon they were all being filled into the great hall. There were four house tables and one other table at the front of the room for the teachers. Right in the middle sat Dumbledore looking over all the tables, right in front of him and his throne was a small rickety looking wooden stool with a hat. The brim opened and sang:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve and chivalry,

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true,

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin,

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means,

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Soon they were, being sorted Hermione going first out of the four.

"SLYTHERIN"