39.

A double for you lovely people!!!
---

Blake woke up that night. It was close to midnight when the nurse noticed. Mitch was asleep next to him, while Scott was asleep in his own hospital room. Dr. Wolfe had wanted to watch him overnight. Since Asher was fine he had gone home with Kayla. The nurse had rushed into Blake's room to give him a checkup. Once she was done Blake looked at his dad, signaling for her to wake him up.

"Mr. Grassi..." The nurse says, glancing at Blake's chart to get the name right. She gently shakes his shoulder until he wakes up.

"What is it?" Mitch mutters, still half asleep and disoriented. "Are visiting hours already over?"

"No, your son is awake."

That wakes him up like a slap across the face. When he looks over at Blake he wraps his arms around the teenager. They stay like that for awhile. Blake doesn't push him away because he needs the hug just as much as his dad.

They pull away and Blake looks at his dad's face, frowning slightly at the tears gliding down it. "Dad? Why are you crying?"

"They're happy tears, I promise." Mitch says, looking at his son through the tears. He really couldn't have been happier at the moment. His son was awake, Zoey only had a few injuries, Asher was only scrapped up, and Scott would be fine once they let him go home.

"How long was I out for?" Blake asks. He hoped that it hadn't been that long. Yet his dad's scruff hadn't grown any so he figured he couldn't have been out for long.

"About a day." Mitch says, brushing some hair from his face. "I was so worried about you. There was just so much going on, you were only out for a day and there's already so much to fill you in on."

Blake nods and subconsciously leans into his dad's hand. He would never let anyone at school as him like this. Luckily there was no one from his school here. Right now Blake just needed to be cared for. He waits for a few more seconds to pass before speaking again.

"Where's Scott?" Blake asks. At first he had been cautious around the blonde. But soon he had became less of a teacher and more of a role model. Blake could no longer deny that he liked Scott.

"He's currently sleeping in a hospital bed a few doors down." Mitch says, watching as Blake's eyes widen. "Don't worry, Blake, he'll be fine."

"What happened? He wasn't in the car with us."

"No, he wasn't." Mitch sighs. "Ok, I don't want you to get worked up over what i'm about to say. Your father came back, asked me to come with him, I said no, and then he tried to shoot me."

It takes Blake a moment to put the pieces together. "Scott jumped in front on you... Didn't he?"

Mitch just nods and continues to look at his son. He still couldn't believe that Scott was willing to give up his own life. Mitch figured that he would never meet someone like that. But really Scott was always surprising him and proving that he wasn't your typical man. Mitch knew that he had to show how much he loved Scott somehow. He just didn't know how.

"Well, he just earned my respect." Blake says. He has already been growing fond of Scott, but now Blake knew that he was a role model.

"Good. I'm glad you guys are starting to warm up to him. I was really worried that you would only ever see him as your teacher or a replacement for your dad."

"Dad, Owen is no longer related to me as far as i'm concerned." Blake says. "Scott's more of a dad than he ever way."

-----

It's the next morning when Mitch goes to check on Scott. The blonde is laying on his uninjured shoulder, watching tv. He truns it off with no hesitation when Mitch enters the room. Scott smiles, sits up, and then motions for Mitch to sit on his lap.

"I don't want to hurt you, babe." Mitch says, looking at Scott's lap cautiously.

"You won't hurt me, Mitchie. You literally weigh a pound." Scott says, opening up his arms. Mitch sighs and crawls onto Scott's lap. "So, how are the kids?"

"Blake woke up last night." Mitch says. "I was going to tell you but I didn't want to leave him."

"I'm happy that he's up." Scott smiles, his chin resting on Mitch's shoulder. "We can get through this."

"Scotty, I think that we can get through anything." Mitch says. "We can do anything as long as we protect each other. I love you so much."

"I love you too."