Chihiro Doi

It'd been a couple of days since the police had found Hamada's body, foul play was not suspected and the case was closed quickly.
     Next was Chihiro Doi. Twenty-nine years old and living with her fiancé. This was going to make her accident a little bit more tricky to figure out.
     I puffed my cheeks out as I watched Ichinomiya survey the multiple pictures we'd gathered of Doi and her two story home.
     "What about hair dryer in the bathtub?" He suggested with a shrug but I shook my head.
     "She graduated top of her class, she wouldn't be stupid enough to take electricals into the bathroom." He hummed beside me then dragged a picture in front of him. I'd taken the picture while she was locking the door to her home before walking to work.
     She was a pretty girl with delicate features and long black hair that ended just a few inches above her waist.
     "Tell me, what is a normal day for a happily to-be-married fiancée?"
     "I don't know. Work, come home, cook, clean?" I said making it sound more like a question than a statement.
     He looked down at me from his position leaning over the table and smiled, "precisely and kitchen's can be dangerous places," he lowered his chin slightly and I nodded slowly.
     "You clever son of a bitch, what do you suppose?" I smirked.
     He turned his attention back to the collection of photos in front of us and pulled together all the photos of the kitchen. "Let's see.." He scanned the photos carefully as do I. "Oven or stove fire," he suggested while pointing at the cooker.
     "That might be difficult to encourage though," I pointed out then scrunched my lips to one side in thought.
     Suddenly Ichinomiya's hand flies over to a photo that shows the sink and countertops. "The sink, it has a waste disposer installed it right?"
     I squint my eyes slightly while looking at the photo, "yeah, that's the switch there," I pointed to it and noticed Ichinomiya nod in my peripheral vision.
     This intrigued me and I leaned away from him in my chair as I raised a brow, urging him to continue.
     "What if those pretty long locks of hers got caught in it?" He asked and I open my mouth to speak but nothing came to mind. An accident like that seemed almost impossible, no one is stupid enough to put their hair in a sink.
     "How do you suppose you can make that happen?"
     "Easy," he smirked confidently and I pressed my lips together.
     "Okay then, tonight. She finishes early and her fiancé won't be home until later."

Ichinomiya and I quietly stepped out of the car in front of Doi's house. A quiet place it was but it was well built meaning the walls would most likely be thick enough to mask any noise from within.
     "Good luck," I whispered as we stepped up to the door and Ichinomiya opened it.

We quickly walked inside and my tall companion gave me a nod. As he'd briefed me earlier I ventured into the living room.
     "You're home early honey, I made dinner, I'll heat it up when I finish washing the pots," she called out but I didn't reply.
     Instead I made my presence known by walking around the room.
     "Makato?"
     A buzz in my pocket told me that Ichinomiya had reached the threshold between the kitchen and dining room undetected.
     As instructed I knocked a small plant pot off of the fireplace and watch it fall to the floor and shatter, that would take Doi's attention off of the job at hand and make her look in the opposite direction of Ichinomiya's position long enough for him to do his job.
     I didn't have to see to know what the scene must've looked like in there. With her back to him he walked up behind her and brushed her hair over the edge of the sink, I stood on the other side of the closed door that lead to the kitchen and heard a muffled scream of panic and confusion then the sound of metal.
     The muffled cries became more frantic and I could imagine that Ichinomiya was keeping her mouth closed until she died.
     Several hard-to-bare and painstakingly long minutes later Ichinomiya pushed the door in front of me open, luckily I was stood far enough back that it didn't hit me.
     He stopped dead in his tracks and stared down at me, spots of blood covered his clothes and some even reached his face. "You shouldn't see what's in there, let's go," he told me and I obeyed.
     I didn't want to see what became of her.

     "Four down, eight to go," Aihara informed me when I made my way into the spare office that he and Hishikura had claimed as their space.
     "Good, what did they write Doi down as?" I asked curiously. He made a few clicks then read the screen in front of him.
     "She died of a mixture of blood loss, shock and a heart attack, it was ruled accidental."
     I nodded at that and closed my eyes briefly.
    Come on Alexis, don't give up just yet. There's only two more to go.
     "Thank you," I bowed my head slightly before leaving.

~~~

Published: 7/8/17
Edited: 6/1/18