Memorial

The next morning I woke up to the patter of rain against my window. The weather matched my mood- depressed. I quietly got out of bed, careful not to wake Soryu and go out to my balcony. My gaze swept over the grounds below me, a large fairytale garden full of colorful plants and flowers now beginning to die from the onset of autumn.
     The realization that the world took away all beautiful things put on it I decided, in that moment, that I truly hated the world.
     Despite the rain hitting my face I still felt the hot tears streaming down my cheeks and I embraced it for the first time in my life. It might sound stupid for a mafia princess to cry over someone she never knew but I didn't care. I never had the chance to mourn Riley. I didn't know how long I could keep being strong now.
     Minutes later I'm pulled out of my thoughts of what could have been by someone's hands on my upper arm, not just someone in fact, it was Soryu.
     "Alexis?" He called my name softly and I allowed him to turn my numb body to face him. Immediately his face turned to one of shock and concern and he instantly pulled me into his firm, broad chest. I hadn't noticed until Soryu's natural body heat warmed me ever so slightly, I was actually shivering and I couldn't feel my fingers.
     He gently lead me back inside; never letting me leave the comfort of his embrace until we made it out of the heavy rain and he let go of me to close the door and bring me a towel.
     "Wait here for a moment," he instructed while wrapping the towel over my still shaking body. He then disappeared into the bathroom and I heard the sound of the bath taps running but I'm too lost in my own thoughts to move.
     My whole life feels like a lie.
     I squeezed my eyes shut at that thought until the water stopped and Soryu took ahold of my hand, "come on," he encouraged, his eyes telling me he knew I was strong enough to make it through whatever it was going on and that if not he was there to break my fall, I let him pull me into the bathroom. The large corner bathtub was full of steaming water and bubbles with the scent of lavender in the air.
     Soryu must've guessed that I wouldn't be able to undress myself in my current state and carefully removed my soaked pajamas. His blush was hard to miss with him so close to me, after dropping my clothes into the laundry basket he kissed my cheek. I heard some shuffling behind me then and Soryu took my hand and lead me closer to the tub. He let go for a moment only to take my hand again once he was seated with his back against the edge, with a gentle tug on my hand he encourages me to get in too and sit down.
     I felt a little awkward and flustered being like this with Soryu but he seemed to be a lot more comfortable than I. He wrapped his arms around my middle and pulled my back to his chest and just simply held me like that. He was right about this, the one thing I needed more than anything at this minute was his warm and comforting embrace.
     After a while I spoke, Soryu deserved an answer as to why he found me having a breakdown in the pouring rain. "I have a brother," I whispered hoarsely, "had a brother," I corrected myself and Soryu tightened his grip.
     "Alexis I am so sorry."
     "He was my twin but he was stillborn, I never knew..." I trailed off in a desperate attempt to stop myself from crying all over again.

     Hours later I had convinced Soryu to accompany me to get a memorial tattoo for Riley. He was skeptical at first but he now understood that this is how I felt like I could deal with the loss and pay my respect.
     I explained to the tattoo artist what I want in Japanese and she gave me a tearful smile then took me to the leather chair. I squeezed Soryu's hand while the artist worked on my upper left arm.
     "That okay?" She asked while outlining the design and I nodded.
     "Yeah," I breathed. This was no where near as painful as the tattoo for my mother; because that'd been on my wrist it hit my bones and that hurt like a motherfucker. This was a dull pain in comparison. Soryu gently stroked my thumb with his own in a comforting gesture which right now I appreciated more than he'd ever know.
     A little while after Mei wiped away the excess ink and admired her work with a bright smile. "Go look in the mirror," she nodded towards it and Soryu and I walked up to it.
     Wow.
     I was speechless. It was even better than I ever could've hoped. It was a hyperrealistic tattoo of a babies hand holding my index finger underneath the image was 'Riley' written in cursive and below that '12-12-95 — 12-12-95' in the same font.
     It was truly beautiful.
     Soryu smiled down at me and I could tell he was happy that I'd found some peace.
     I sat back down on the chair while Mei wrapped my arm in cling film, I thanked her tearfully for her work and she hugged me.
     Once we get back into my car and Soryu began to drive I sighed in relief. "I'm glad you found a way to channel your pain," he smiled the same kind, genuine smile that made my heart melt and placed his hand on mine that had been resting in my lap, without looking he easily flips it over and I watch as he slides his fingers between mine and squeezed to reassure me everything would be okay.

~~~

Good afternoon my pretties!
     I hope you guys likes this chapter, let me know in the comments as well as by voting and adding Guarded to your reading list. I appreciate everything!
      I'll try my hardest to upload another chapter tonight since I'm really excited about this story.

Goodbye for now,
XOX

Published: 14/8/17
Edited: 10/1/18