Resting

I parked my blacked out Mercedes at a small empty gravel parking lot a little walk from the foot of Arthur's seat. It was midnight so no one else was around and everything was pitch black.
     I closed my eyes for a moment and rested my head against my hands that were still gripping the wheel. I wanted to go, I needed to. But I wasn't sure if I wanted to find a sign of Soryu or not. It was a moral dilemma that I wasn't one hundred percent sure I wanted to deal with but I was one hundred percent sure I needed too.
     I checked my reflection in the rear view mirror and picked up the black wooly hat from the passenger seat, I pulled it on and grabbed the torch I had brought too.
     Time to brace myself.
     I meant it in the physical and emotional sense because outside was below freezing. "Ugh," I groaned when the wind whipped around my body making me shiver slightly. I zipped up the thick quilted parka and pulled up the hood too.
     There was a large grassy field separating the parking lot from the path that took hikers up the mountain. The location Soryu's phone had last pinged from, before presumably losing battery, was a wooded area near Dunsapie Loch, a small lake which sat at the bottom of a smaller mountain adjacent to the extinct volcano.
     With my torch illuminating a small space in front of me as I walked I used the directions on my phone to show me how far I had to go. In retrospect it wasn't a long distance but the freezing temperatures made it feel like miles.
     I put the phone away when I came upon a small path next to a bank leading down to the loch. I sighed, breathing in the icy air to clear my head and lungs. To the left was the grassy hill and to my right was the path that curved around to an ominous wooded area.
     Steeling my nerves I began the short trek, it was over in a matter of minutes and I stopped. I let my ears and eyes adjust to their surroundings. There wasn't much I was scared of but the dark, as childish as it was, was maybe my biggest fears. I was always left in some dark cold dungeon when my father sold me away. The dark took me back to then.
     The memory of Evie running into my room one night and crawling into bed beside Soryu and I flashed into my mind. She'd had a bad dream and insisted that there was a scary man watching her from behind her door.
     Now I was sure the dark was only my second biggest fear. I was scared of losing my family. Not my biological one, there was only my father left and I'd be better off with him gone. I was scared of losing Evie, Ichinomiya, Baba, everyone who was back home in Japan waiting for me. I exhaled.
     "You can do this," I encouraged myself then took my first steps into a darkness that seems to swallow me whole. According to the map there was a clearing not too far into the woods, that was the location I needed to get too.
     Snapping twigs and the crunch of leaves were the only sounds coming from me but all around me the woods came to life. The wind howled through the bare branches of tall and short trees while owls hooted in the distance, playing guardian to their home. There was something beautifully unsettling about being here.
     I dimmed the torch a little to help my eyes focus on the surroundings, having such a harsh light made the darkness closest to me feel so much more intense.
     I found the clearing not too long after and turned my torch off completely just so that I could know if there was anything else with me.
     Left.
     Right.
     My eyes darted around while my body turned around and around and around, they were making shapes in the bushes, humanoid shapes. Tall men, curvy women all dark and sinister. I fell to my knees and quickly grabbed for my torch which laid by my side. In a second the light was back on and I began to calm down. The oncoming panic attack had begun to subside.
     I pushed myself to my feet and shook my head, I needed to get a hold of myself.
     It was all in your head, Alexis.
     I kept my eyes glued to the ground for any sign of Soryu, his phone, his keys, anything. I stopped and bent down for a closer look it was the golden casing of a bullet; a 45 ACP Luger to be exact. It was the only one in the whole entire world and it belonged to my father.
     My heart clenched and I quickly stuffed the metal casing into my pocket. So that was it. My father shot him and buried him somewhere near by. My heart ached with that thought and I quickly stood up. I wanted to cry. I wanted to bawl at the though that it was all real but I couldn't do that anymore.
     I should get of here, this wasn't good for me- emotionally.
     I rushed back the way I came and once I get back into the safety of my car I let the fresh tears fall. I couldn't hold them back anymore.

~~~

Sorry for the filler, I'm just in a very write-y mood tonight so I just write whatever was on my brain and this is what came out of it.
     New chapter coming very soon!
     But I'm the meantime it would be cool if you could leave a vote and comment if you liked this chapter and if you like the book please feel free to add it to your reading lists and share it with friends!

See you guys soon!
XOX

Published: 24/12/17
Edited: 16/1/17