➽Chapter Seven {Part two}

Midnight was an essential part of every being's life

Midnight was an essential part of every being's life. With its blanket of protective shadows and nothing but strings of moonlight falling from the heavens, it was the perfect time to sleep, to hunt, to seek.

But for Venix, it was the time to uncover the truth.

Wiping her puffy eyes and face and choosing to toss her scarlet gown in exchange for comfortable black jeans and a violet shirt that covered her pale arms, the BloodBone Witch was a skillful hunter and killer as she snuck out of her hut quietly, closing the door behind her.

The tribal grounds were empty, essentially lifeless with barely a soul lingering on the sandy grounds. Whispers of the wind echoed through the chilly night, the crunch of her boots against the grainy sand. Glad to be out of her violet gown, she had opted for comfortable black jeans and a black top as she camouflaged into the night,

She knew she should be asleep at this hour. She knew she should have been hunting for her next victim at this hour. She should have been doing anything but making her way towards the dining room at this hour.

But hell, sleep didn't come too easy tonight.

The BloodBone's mind was still racing after seeing Onyx lifeless and covered in blood. Everyone had practically had, all of them hearing her screams of agony as they echoed from a dark hallway. For a while, it all seemed to be a dream, a hallucination even.

But when Rheynoak emerged from the shadows holding her unconscious, blood-soaked body in his arms, the BloodBone knew it was all real. Too real.

She had practically heard her heart split into two as she tore away from Lucien's presence and threw her body onto her friend's soulless one, begging her to come back to life.

But as every cruel thing that has ever happened in her life, Onyx still remained lifeless as she was carried into the infirmary to be treated.

Venix herself knew she should have been weeping by now but all her tears had dried up behind her eyes and the mission ahead of her was too important to pass up. Lucien was counting on her to show up and she was not looking forward to letting him down.

The double doors to the dining hall were slightly cracked open, the inside only lit by a few lights as she slipped her way through the crack. The doors slipped shut behind her, the wind outside hushing as silence met her ears.

The hall still smelled of roasted feasts, Trojan wine, and drunk madness as the Witch wandered through rows of tables that were still scattered with leftover scraps of foods and trays. Some of the table legs were even left unhinged, the chairs tilted to one side.

A groan slipped out of her lips, her head shaking. Whoever had to clean this up was in for a long, long day.

Her footsteps echoed throughout the hall as she followed the lights to a dark hallway, her advanced eyes outlining the lean body of Lucien leaning against the cold walls, sinking his teeth into what looked like an apple. His white hair was distinguishable against the bright candlelight, the trace of his jaw flexing.