➽Chapter Thirty Seven

The insinuating screams of agony and chaos erupting from the palace could be heard from a mile away

The insinuating screams of agony and chaos erupting from the palace could be heard from a mile away. The skies seemed to bleed a bloody red as Onyx whipped past buildings and twines of trees, receiving lashes on her skin as she fought to save what would be left when she arrived.

The smokey palace hovered just above the mountain curve and the mind siphon sped up until her feet collided with the dying grass of the palace courtyard. The cold wind settled into her skin, seeping through as she sprinted towards the door, beads of sweat trickling down her face.

She yanked open the doors, practically throwing herself on the floor.

"Onyx!" Azura's voice called out to her, a warm hand landing on her shoulder as she pulled the princess back to her feet. A spot of blood was bleeding from her split lips, her black wings retreating into her back with a strong gush of wind.

"I'm fine" Onyx quickly replied, brushing her hands over her dress. She looked around, heading towards the staircase and looking up to see the dimmed staircase. She raced up the stairs, her feet gradually slipping on pieces of broken glass and torn fabric. The banister slowly became slick with blood, some dried and hanging off to the edge like a haunting raindrop.

It was only when she descended upon the infirmary floor did her heart sink to the floor. There, waiting by the stairs, face forever scarred, and a haunting smile etched on his face, was the body of a dead palace guard. Shards of glowing glass stuck out from his chest, the ground around him, twinkling with the same mysterious glass.

"No...no." A broken croak came from Onyx's lips as she wandered around the floor. She could feel her heart prickle and the tears in her eyes gently trace her cheeks as she stumbled over palace maids and rivers of blood and broken glass. Weapons laid abandoned by their wielders and coat of arms were ripped to pieces.

The walls were smothered in bloody handprints and outlines of terrified faces before their lives were taken away from them. The drapes were abandoned on the floor, leaving the windows unprotected. Many of them were glassless or had an intricate spiderweb cracking into the glass.

A cold wind pushed its way through, rustling the carpet up to reveal more pools of blood. With each step she took, Onyx could feel her heartbeat quicken and her feet sink into the blood-soaked carpet as she approached the skewed door of the emperor's infirmary room.

The doorknob glistened with blood; the glass was broken in on itself. The guards guarding it were nowhere to be seen.

Either dead or somehow managed to escape.

"You don't have to go through, Onyx" Raiyah spoke out, stopping her in her tracks. "I could barely do it every day. I don't want you to face the worst. The absolute worst possibility that Draco might be...might be..."

Raiyah's words were cut off by a soft sob, choking the words of her sentence as tears streaked down her face. Onyx turned around to see Raiyah sobbing into Orion's shoulder. "I know, Draco" Onyx whispered, turning away so that the tears would fall without any witness. "He's resilient and an invincible force. It takes a lot more to strike him dead."