➽Chapter Fifteen

After the ceremony, they celebrated outside in the hot desert sun

Tribal dances and rituals were performed throughout the day, the tribe leaders following along with the tradition as well. Tribe members painted their faces with paint, recreating the ancient style that was popular thousands of years ago.

Food was prepared and served outside, the rhythmic beat of drums echoing throughout the exotic day. Wine was poured into glasses and on the ground, staining the coral sand in a bloody scar. Long formal dresses and cloaks were swapped for short beaded ones, a scarf of silk circling their shoulders instead of the heavy material of the cloak.

The morning transitioned into the afternoon with the excitement only heightened, members using their exceptional powers to create tricks and illusions that dazzled others. But Onyx, as much as she tried to fit in and enjoy herself, a cloud of sadness clouded her heart to the point where every bit of energy seemed to die within her.

She wandered around the tribal grounds, seemingly lost. A bowl of grilled meats spiced with exotic herbs was in her hands, her fingers stained with red sauce. Even as the beads on her dress circled her feet and the flower crown crafted on her head transformed her into what some would compare to a goddess, her demeanor had something of a hellish queen.

After the ceremony, she made sure to stay away from Rheynoak, Lucien, and Draco. She stuck close to Alesandria and Venix but even they seemed to disperse from her at some point. It left only her and the numerous of tribe leaders keeping their gaze locked on her. The thought ran a chill down her spine, igniting that gold magic that illuminated her skin.

"Stop it!" she hissed to no one in particular, scowling at the illuminating magic. It seemed to taunt her, growing brighter with every second she pleaded. "I will poison myself if it means you won't appear once again!" The magic seemed to light up and smile but gradually fade until it dimmed and eventually disappeared under her skin.

"Talking to ourselves now, are we?" A voice like velvet caught her attention and she looked up to see Leader Heather Falyik, standing under the shade of a large sand dune. Her black tresses were gathered in an elegant updo, her dark attire swapped for a light, silk dress that breezed past her legs. She was decorated with diamonds and pearls, even her eyes sparkling like gemstones.

"The sun," the Siphon said without thinking. "The heat out here is insane" she fibbed, mustering a smile. The female leader smiled, leaning off of the sand dune. "Then why aren't you in the comfort of your lover's arms? Surely he can provide enough shade for you."

The mention of Rheynoak had her heart jump to her throat, feeling her body grow hot. "He's busy with cardinal affairs with other tribe leaders as you can imagine" she replied back, trying to sound as professional as possible.

Ultimately though, Heather laughed a cruel sound that mocked her. "My dear, as old as I am, my mind is still sharp. It humors me how even immortal hybrids can still reek with the innocence of mortal children." Her words were whispered, the leader walking around her in circles. The silk of her gown brushed past her legs and the Siphon felt her body lock, frowning at her.