➽Chapter Seventeen

The song above is really heartbreaking but I think it represents the end of the chapter for Rheynoak and Onyx

The third day of Solyerian. The day of Redemption.

The one thing Rheynoak sought for on this gloomy day.

Even the Gods seemed to know that today was a day of weakness, of sadness and grief. Even the sky reflected what everyone was feeling inside.It was a gloomy grey with no clouds visible. Blackbirds soared across the horizon, the dark waves of the ocean crashing across the dead shores.

There was a short rainstorm early in the morning, leaving behind the smell of fresh springs and turning the copper sand into quicksand. The desert had lost its color, fading like the rest of Asxairo's history.

Onyx had barely slept last night. In fact, she had not even closed her eyes. Her whole body had been shaking, her mind racing. Nightmares and gruesome images flashed in her mind, tormenting and taunting her like a moth attracted to a brilliant light. Her body twisted and turned, her bones cracking and body contorting under the immense pressure that shook her body.

Before dawn had broken through the horizon, she had thrown up at least five times, every single time bloodier than the last. Her skin was burning, her eyes dilating as her arms shook. Her whole body felt like convulsing over and over again, blood boiling underneath her skin.

If death was any less painful, she would have chosen it already.

Somehow, she managed to gather herself up and bathe before putting on the decent clothes she had left. She didn't bother putting anything on her face, instead tying her hair back so that her face was much more revealed. So that the scars that marked the little corners of her face was much more visible.

Last but not least, she strapped her trusty sword to her hips.

Taking a deep breath, she wrapped a midnight blue cloak over her shoulders before stepping out into the early morning. Barely anyone lingered on the silent grounds but she knew that there were people waiting for her inside Rheynoak's office. People who would control her destiny in every way possible.

It seemed like forever before she reached the castle, the door opening for her. She walked up the spiraling staircase to the quiet halls that welcomed her. Every step she took towards his office sparked a despicable feeling that settled in her stomach.

She did not want to face this. She did not want to face them. Somehow, the thought of never finding out her true identity seemed a lot more pleasurable than the current situation she was forced into. Swallowing down the vomit that threatened its way up her throat, Onyx managed to make it to Rheynoak's office.

Taking another deep breath, she knocked on the door with her shaky hands, holding her breath. The echoes of voices stopped, footsteps approaching her. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like years before the soft click of a lock turning was heard.