➽Chapter Thirty Five

The cold metal of the blade pressed into Alesandria's hand, drawing tiny rivers of blood as she laid in the cold bed, keeping her lips shut as she listened to the movement of maids outside of her tiny infirmary room

She had been hoping to be placed in the same infirmary room as the emperor. It would make her missions so much easier, but the maids had informed her that very few people could recover in the same infirmary room as the emperor and she was not one of them.

"For safety and privacy reasons" they had informed her before showing her to one of the much tinier infirmary rooms for the common people including staff and citizens. It wouldn't be that much of a hassle if it wasn't for the fact that she was nowhere as sick as she had pretended to be earlier in the morning.

"I must say. Your acting skills are incomparable" Heather teased as the hybrid slowly made her way out of the bed. She slipped her feet into a pair of slippers and carefully removed the cold wet cloth from her forehead and placed it on the bed. Her dark hair was wet and clung to her like a second skin, disguising her to be more detrimental than she seemed.

"It's easy to do so when you're lying" Alesandria replied, slipping the knife underneath her white dress and securing it on her hip with the sash she wrapped around her waist tightly. The weapon stuck to her skin, the sharp edge digging into her waist. "How does Onyx do this every day without bleeding to death?" she uttered, readjusting the weapon so that it would not cut through her skin.

"Never mind that. You have to be quick before you get caught or before they realize that you are not in the room" Heather informed her through their bond. Alesandria nodded and tiptoed her way to the door. She opened it quietly, observing the silent hallway before sneaking her way through the slim corridor. Her footsteps whispered against the floor as she ran through the hallway and stopped at a pillar that curved into a turn.

From the corner of her eye, she could make out the tall, double doors that led to the infirmary Draco was currently being held in. Three guards stood watched at the entrance, gold spears in hand. Their steely gazes rotated around the halls, ready to attack any unwanted intruder to protect their emperor.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Heather whispered. Alesandria pressed herself against the wall so that she would be out of their peripheral vision. "They won't let you in for any reason!"

"Would you shut up and watch?" Alesandria hissed, watching them from the corner of her eyes. Heather's voice remained silent in her mind, holding her breath as the hybrid watched the guards intensively. She momentarily flipped her gaze over to the window where she could see the sun reaching its highest peak in the sky in a slow ascent.

"What are we waiting for?" Heather asked as the rising sun casted shadows among the walls.

"Just watch" Alesandria replied. She counted on her lips, starting from ten and slowly making her way down to zero. At the last number, the sun settled in the sky and the guards moved from the door, ending their shift and signaling for the next guards to start their rotation.