➽Chapter Sixteen

Listen to the song above when you are reading the chapter! It's soo good!

The celebration went through the night, midnight closing in on the night sky. Stars dazzled in the sky, little embers of flickering flames dancing their way up. The sound of the ocean crashing on the shore blended in with the sound of the beating drums echoing through the night.

Even the sounds of the desert animals drowned with the voices of laughter, roaring, and crying. The whole tribal ground was lit with hues of orange and yellow with hints of moonlight streaming from above, a heavenly sight for hellish ground.

Onyx felt herself shrink into the crowd as she watched the members dance, unable to feel and comprehend the happiness and carefreeness they were feeling. Even her own friends were somewhere lost in the crowd, probably happier than she was.

She has not been able to look Rheynoak in the eyes for fear that Draco would be right next to him and that she would get lost once again. Or maybe the other tribe leaders would persuade the truth out of her lips.

It hurt, knowing that she couldn't love Rheynoak the same way he loved her even though she tried to love him in that way. But as much as her body was in tune with his, her heart wasn't. And if there is anything she had learned about herself, it is that her heart was always right.

Most of the times.

Frowning, she wallowed in misery until the dance was over and applause exploded through the crowd. She forced herself to clap along, a fake smile mustering her lips. "That was beautiful!" Rheynoak said as the tribe members settled down, taking a seat around the fire.

"Thank you all for making this a glorious celebration. I was never a fan of Solyerian given my past encounters with the celebration" he said, his eyes scowering over the crowd until he found her. Their eyes met and the Siphon could feel every muscle in her body freeze, her breath caught in her throat. "But thanks to you all, it has been a wonderful experience that I wouldn't mind repeating."

Another round of applause went around. Rheynoak sat down just as tribe leader Irene Amashnov got up, her long hair swaying past her hips. "I couldn't have said it better myself," she said, her voice light and sweet. "It has been a pleasure being worshipped by all of you. However, the tribe leaders and I have been discussing an important topic we would like to address."

The whole tribe fell silent, Rheynoak casting a gaze over to her. "I wasn't aware," he said, casting another gaze over to Lucien who shrugged his shoulders. He even acknowledged Draco who was sitting by him but even the emperor was unaware of this as well.

"It wasn't something you should have been aware of," she said with a smile. "So if I may, can I proceed forward?" she asked even though her tone suggested it wasn't really a question but rather a warning. Rheynoak opened his mouth, seemingly to protest but nodded after a few seconds.