➽Prologue

"Is it true?"

"Is it true?"

The voices of ancient ones whispered among themselves, speaking in languages that would be forbidden to utter in the years to come. Eyes flickered to each other, instinctively trying not to pay attention to the child that was cradled in the basket, sound asleep.

They hid below a cave, a tribe that had seemingly removed themselves from the rest of the world. An underground kingdom that humanity nor immortals have seen. They were a different breed, a tribe crafted from demons and monsters and perishers. A tribe with no mercy for anyone else.

Immortals of all kind gathered around the small wooden table, the leader sitting on his wooden throne bejeweled with gold, beady eyes filled with fire and wicked plans.

"The war has ripped apart the last pieces of Crojesian" a voice spoke, his face hidden underneath the dark hood he wore. Shadows danced around his face, the grey sunlight dancing among his pale cheeks. "Everyone that should be dead is dead" he uttered, shaking his head.

"Including them?" a rather demanding voice asked. The hidden figure nodded, licking his lips. "Yes. Queen Eshara Aneymi Kaslibieth and King Aries Talgran were brutally killed by a group of mortal assassins in the middle of the battle, their blood signifying the end of the war and their abandoned child the only connection to it all."

A cruel laugh escaped out of the leader's lips; his eyes locked on the sleeping infant. Her eyes were closed, her fingers dancing on the blanket that swaddled her. Her curled hair fell in her face, lips pulled into a frown. Beside her basket laid the Kasligran Sword, a weapon designed by both of her parents using the blood and tears and ash of their own enemies to forge it.

It was made when Eshara was pregnant with her child and was planned to be a gift to her for her first birthday. Unfortunately, those plans were cut off too short.

It was a beautiful, glorious weapon of destruction. A mighty sword crafted with diamonds and steel and sharpened by the blades of assassins. The head of the sword was gold, a dragon intertwining around the left side of the head while a phoenix intertwined the right side. Their tails plaited together in the middle, a symbol of their family crest.

And in the middle of it all, the epitome of what gave this sword such specialty was the large, blood red ruby that was centered in the middle of the head of the sword. It was large, made from a blood ruby that contained the blood of Eshara, Aries, and their daughter. Whoever was stabbed with it was bound to rot from the inside out and die.

It was also what made their daughter so precious. A beauty raised with two monsters to call her parents.

It almost seemed humorous.

"Seems as if Aries wasn't destined to have a family at all," the leader said, smirking at the child. "His first child was kidnapped and slaughtered as his wife bled to death and now this. His life taken at the hands of his family, abandoning their precious child behind."