➽Chapter Thirty Four

This chapter was originally 7,000 words so I just split it up into two chapters and they will be posted back to back

Alesandria stood outside the balcony doors, the cool morning kissing her prickling skin. Against the beauty of the morning sky was the cold blade in her hand. The jagged point of the blade pressed into her skin, drawing a small pool of blood.

"Why the hesitation?" Heather's voice rang in her head, her strong presence blocking out any of her cautious thoughts. "You promised us that you would go through with whatever plan we concocted."

"I know, but doesn't this seem a bit early? The battle just happened yesterday, and you want me to attack the emperor today? Doesn't that raise suspicion?" Alesandria questioned, earning an impatient curse from Heather. Suddenly, the knife in her hand turned towards her throat, the point of it teasing the skin of her neck.

"I didn't ask for what you thought, Alesandria. I asked you to do something and you will follow through or the Gods so help me, I will come over to the Inner Circle myself and kill you." The low rumble of her voice was non-negotiable and Alesandria nodded, a shaky sigh releasing from her lips.

"Okay! I'm sorry!" Alesandria protested, prompting for the blade to fall out of her hand. A pulsing pain settled in her head, electrifying her body with a feeling she could not shake off. "The Desert Tribes are getting ready, Alesandria. You may have Rheynoak, but we have you and Draco right where we want you to be. It's just a matter of time now before Raebar rises and avenges those who disobeyed him."

"Avenge? What do you mean?" Alesandria asked. She could practically feel the scowl on Heather's lips deepening. "Oh, don't tell me now that you are getting sympathetic, Alesandria. I can't risk that!"

"I'm just curious, not sympathetic! Nothing to worry about" Alesandria replied quickly, stooping down to pick up the blade. "Good. And keep prying information from that loose-lipped summoner they call Castrin. His infatuations seem to tower over his judgment."

Before Alesandria could even ask her one more question, the bond between the faded and Heather left her mind, leaving her completely numb and dizzy. A knock on her door sounded, bringing her back to reality and the open of the balcony. "Come in" Alesandria called out, tucking the knife into the back of her dress. She pulled her cardigan off the floor and pushed her hair off her shoulders so that it would tumble and cover her waist, concealing the weapon.

The door opened and Castrin stepped inside, his eyes meeting hers in delight. "Morning," he said in a tired voice, running his fingers through his tumbled curls. "Morning. How are you feeling?" she asked as he closed the door, locking it.

"Not as good as I should be feeling" he replied. He stepped into the pool of sunlight in her room, revealing the purple and blue bruises on his face, his swollen and eyes and split lip that still pulsed with blood. His arms were covered in shattered colors of red and blue as the bruises turned black at the ends of his fingers.