➽Chapter Forty Two

Onyx stood on the edge of the balcony, looking out into the open world in front of her

Onyx stood on the edge of the balcony, looking out into the open world in front of her. Ruins from the war stood erect like skyscrapers screaming at the sky. The first light of dawn peeked through, cutting through the dark clouds and glinting across the jagged pieces of wood, broken glass, and shattered bodies littering the streets of Elsavior.

Despite herself, the tears rolled down her face with a command, streaking past the wounds on her face and falling underneath her jaw. Hurried breaths rushed in and out of her chest, her mind a foggy disaster that was distant from the reality in front of her. How did her world become this? This shattered, wasteland that she could not save.

Cool air whipped past her face, dried blood hardening on her fingertips. She looked down at her chest, her hands landing on the ruby necklace around her neck. Even through her dark mind, she could feel him there, trying to comfort her yet failing halfway. She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. The sound of the door opening was barely acknowledged as it opened, and Draco stepped through.

He watched her from a distant, her back turned against him, her head high up in the clouds as she relished in the last few rays of sunshine she would be seeing in a while. Without a word, he walked up to her, reaching out to squeeze her shoulder but hesitating last minute to tuck it away.

"Why did you pull away?" she asked, not turning back to meet his eyes. Draco cleared his throat, tucking his hands in his trench coat pockets. "You seemed to be in deep thought. I didn't want to bother you" he replied. She shook her head, scoffing. "Stop using that excuse. It's not valid" she retorted back, still holding on to the ruby necklace. She turned around to meet his gaze, the faint sunlight illuminating her from behind, a warrior on fire. "I went downstairs to check on the others" she spoke, her voice cracking. "Have you seen Alesandria and Azura? They're in shambles. Azura is barely breathing and God knows if Alesandria is alive. Everyone is broken. Everyone is battered. The whole world is tearing apart and it's all because of me."

Her whole body shook as she got stuck on those last few words. Tears rolled down her face, her cold demeanor melting. "It's all because of me." Draco watched her with torn feelings, his heart screaming to her but his body holding her back. Before he could comprehend what he was doing, Draco ran up and pulled her into his arms. She fought against his pull, her tears shaking her body and bringing her down.

Eventually, she broke and fell into his embrace, her gasp for air and throaty tears filling the dawn. Draco could barely comprehend what was going on, watching her with pain crossing his face. She held onto his shirt, sobbing into his chest. "I can't promise you a happy ending right now, Onyx" he whispered against her hair. "But I can promise you that you will make it out of this. All of you. You can count on that."

She nodded, sniffling as she pulled back and looked up at him. He wiped her tears away, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. His gaze went down to the ruby necklace around her neck, smiling at the jewelry. "Elsavior is falling apart. Hell, the whole Inner Circle is falling apart. Raebar is going to kill us all and we have no defense. We can't keep risking innocent lives just to protect ourselves. We can't."