➽Chapter Thirty Six

The opening of the cerulean water wavered in front of Onyx in the dark cave

The opening of the cerulean water wavered in front of Onyx in the dark cave. Around her, ancient Ruges were carved into walls with white chalk, smeared with dust, and some tainted with blood.

The Cave of Legends echoed loudly, nothing but Onyx's breath bouncing off the walls. Above her, the scripture Reiva Vas Serique was engraved in the ceiling in gold lettering. Her friends stood on a tall podium made from black rocks. Iredine stood across from her on the other side of the pool, her hands running through the cold water.

"This cave was built back when the Inner Circle was formed. It was to honor the deceased rulers and their impact on the kingdom, whether good or bad" she explained. "This pond is made of their magic and tears after their death. It holds the life story of every ruler who has ever taken the throne of an Inner Circle Kingdom. And today, it will help you discover your own story of your parents."

Onyx looked down into the deep pool, her breath hitching in her throat as she reached out to touch the crystalline water. The ripples forming froze at her touch and scattered away, dancing together to form a deep whirlpool in the middle of the pool. "Are you sure this is safe?" Onyx asked, looking at Iredine again. "I'm not in the mood for dying."

"That's a first" Castrin called out from where he was standing. He earned a glare from Iredine and a certain finger from Onyx who waved away his comment. "It's perfectly safe, Onyx. Once you say the name of your parents and step into the pool, it will suck you under and reveal their history to you, but it will feel like you are living through their eyes."

"Doesn't sound safe" Onyx replied. Iredine sighed and directed a look over to the court.

"Onyx, you'll be fine. If anything happens, we'll be right here to pull you out" Yongui called out.

"But in case we can't reach you in time, if you ever feel like being ejected from the pool, simply yell out the phrase, A'reivas Sav Serique. The visions will stop, and the pool will safely bring you back to reality and out of its depth."

Onyx nodded. With shaking hands, she took off the black veil that shaded her eyes and removed her shoes. She rolled up the sleeves of her dress and hiked up the trail of her dress so that it wouldn't get caught in the jaggy entrance to the pool.

"Good luck, Onyx" Iredine called out.

The Siphon nodded before looking down at the pool. She took a few steps in, the piercing cold water freezing her skin as the ground slipped from underneath her feet and the endless depths of the pool welcomed her. With a deep breath, she went underneath the water and swam into the middle of the pool where she emerged once more, her dark hair stuck to her forehead.

"Empress Eshara Kaslibieth and Emperor Aries Talgran." Onyx's voiced echoed among the walls of the cave. The water around her turned violent, rippling currents swirling around her feet and sucking her under. The color turned darker, almost black before sucking her under.