➽Chapter Forty Nine

Draco looked down at the bag in front of him, holding only the most important things he needed for his departure

Draco looked down at the bag in front of him, holding only the most important things he needed for his departure. With a heavy sigh, he tugged on the zipper until it was closed, strapping the heavy bag to his back. The emperor looked down at his skin that was still ruined with scars, slowly but surely healing.

He sighed, securing Onyx's sword in a sword sheath strapped to his hip. The blade slid in smoothly, the hilt of the sword hidden under his large cloak. 

Taking a deep breath, he looked around at what was left of his chamber. Last night was the last time he would be seeing his palace for a while. The large room echoed with silence, the early morning wind banging on the windows. There was still so much left that he couldn't bring with him like his memories. But he knew he couldn't bring them with him. They were meant to be left behind.

He walked around the room, his fingers roaming on the walls and windows, savoring their touch one last time. He walked inside his bathroom, sitting on the porcelain tub and feeling its cold surface underneath his skin. He breathed in the crisp air around his room, taking in the smell of lavender. By the time he had circled back around, there was a knock on his door.

"Come in" he simply uttered. The door opened to reveal Cayah, her tall figure standing across from him. She was dressed in royal blue, her white dreadlocks gathered in a bun. On her back was a heavy bag, a sword sheath strapped to her side. Draco barely opened his mouth when she walked towards him, enveloping him in a hug.

The emperor struggled to breathe, holding on to his friend as she crushed him tight in her grasp, breathing deeply. When they pulled apart, she wiped the single tears that ran down his face, a sad smile on her lips. "We are with you, Draco. Remember that. I and the rest of the leaders trust you. We'll get through this."

"At what cost? Onyx is dead" he croaked out, shuddering. Cayah shook her head, hugging him again briefly. "Onyx is a kaslibieth-Talgran. They never falter and neither will she. I know it seems impossible to imagine that now but believe me, she will come back. Trust me on that." Draco nodded despite the doubt that lingered in his mind, wiping his face.

"I've let everyone down. My friends, my court, my mate, my citizens, my family, and my kingdom. Everyone was counting on me and I let them down. How could I?" he asked, looking around his room. "Look at what has become of me. Stripped of my duties and banished out of my home. Was I that incompetent to protect it all?"

Cayah shook her head, squeezing his shoulders. "In all the years, I have known you Draco, you have always made it out through dark times. The Inner Circle has been attacked countless times but each time, it was you that led us back to our thrones. This time, it is just a long road, but we will make it back and finally be at peace. Please, believe me on that. Even if you don't, just try."

Before Draco could respond, another knock sounded on the door. It creaked open, revealing Alesandria standing on the other side. Her black hair fell over her pale skin, her white dress draping over her feet. Her eyes skimmed between the leaders, her gaze faltering with shame. "I'll leave you two to talk," Cayah said, turning back to Draco. She smiled, bowing her head at him. "We'll meet you outside, emperor Vaolcris" she uttered, regaining her posture and winking at him.