Back to Life, Back to Reality

FINN POV

It had been a rough few weeks but knowing Rory was by myside through it all helped immensely. I had worried about losing her at first because I did push her away not really wanting to neither communicate nor be social. One of the times I wanted to be alone I went to my favorite beach and enjoyed the sound of the surf, I didn't feel much like surfing that day although I did bring my board, I also brought the box grams gave me.

Going through the box I found that she was born into the great depression and her family struggled to stay above water but eventually regained their wealth and health, I found out she was an only child which I knew but it had never been talked about, she also became pregnant at a young age but lost the child to some disease she married my grandfather when she was 16 and he was 18 they had my mother a month after grams turned 17, I wondered if they married because she became pregnant but maybe it was because they wanted to. I understood from some of the paperwork that my grandfather did father her first child so I could only assume.

My great grandparents passed away when mum was only a child, both were still somewhat young but had been through so much turmoil that it took a toll on them.

When they attempted to get pregnant again they had found that due to an unknown reason at the time my grandfather had become infertile.

They use to love to dance and have a good time, there were pictures and ribbons from dance contests mostly looked like it was all military persons.

As mum got older they traveled a lot, there were lots of stamps in her passport and train ticket stubs from various places.

There was a lot of good and bad memories that filled that box and I did learn a lot about grams and also the love she had for me and my siblings as she had small pieces of fabric from our first outfits and a lock of curls from my first haircut.

That box made me feel a little more at peace knowing she lived her life to the fullest.

--

As I sit at my desk I pull the ring she gave me out of my pocket and stared at it for a while, knowing that someday soon it would be on Rory's finger.

After our first dinner that night grams told me that I should give it sometime so our relationship would become stronger but that I would know when it was time and when I asked she would definitely say yes.

As much as I wanted to ask Rory now I knew that it did need to be in the perfect moment, I wasn't going to rush it.

--

Lunch came and went when Colin and Robert come barging into my office

"Well, well our man Finn is back..."

"Hey mates, you wouldn't be here if I wasn't back..."

"Yeah, yeah. So how are you?" Colin asks

"I'm doing alright. How is everything with you two?"

"I'm great..." Robert loudly begins and then becomes more serious "But things within the realms of reality not so good..."

"Yeah, man... We have to talk. Do you have a moment? We can come back if you aren't ready to deal with things." Colin said

"No, we can talk. What's going on?"

"Well Robert and I went back to London to confront Logan about mother's nasty mark..."

"And?" I said

"And he denied it completely until we showed him the pictures I took. I told him that the hand mark was so intense you could see the complete outline perfectly. He became extremely agitated then remorseful. I wanted to kill him, Finn I really did..."