13. Purpose - Design; an end or aim desired.

Tyler spent the afternoon in his room, listening to music on the radio. He listened to one song, then another, flicking through the stations to find what he liked.

He didn't really like most of the 'popular' songs; they all seemed pointless to him. There wasn't a real theme to them...all they seemed to consist of was loud rapping, slurring voices, and sex. Tyler didn't like it. He liked music that meant something, where the artists sang about important things like living, dying, love. Music should have a purpose, he thought.

In addition to listening to the radio, Tyler worked on his black notebook. He had had several of them over the years, all different shapes and sizes, sometimes with different patterns, but always black.

In the notebooks, Tyler would write song lyrics he loved, and songs of his own. He'd write poems and short stories, as well as make little doodles and sketches. His notebooks were his way of escaping the real world, and exploring his own head a little.

He never showed them to anyone, and wanted to keep it that way. He had a small cardboard shoebox in the corner of his closet, where he would put the notebooks once they were full. Tyler planned to read through them again someday, but in the meantime he just kept filling up the box.

That was how Tyler spent his afternoon. It was familiar, and helped him go through his thoughts.

Before he knew it, night had fallen. He ate dinner with his family, took a shower, put on his pajamas, and, near ten o'clock, went to bed.

He already knew he was going to sneak out to see Josh.