49. Undertone - An underlying quality or feeling.

Though there was still an undertone of anxiety to the minds and actions of both boys, Tyler and Josh continued to act as per normal, or at least, waht had become normal for them. They would spend as much time together as possible, whether talking or kissing or just being there.

They were in love, and it was plainly clear. Josh had even stopped trying to transmit messages to his parents, who were likely in beyond his reach anyway, and could not hear him. He promised Tyler he'd do anything to be with him, even if it meant giving up all he once knew on Anathema, with the Others.

Despite the stress, there were happy moments. One night, when he was almost to the forest, Tyler heard a sound behind him. He was terrified that a wild animal was stalking him--or worse, that Jay had followed him from the house--but to his relief it was only the cat.

He didn't want to waste time by taking Josie back to the house, so he scooped her up in his arms and carried her to the vessel.

Josh happily climbed down from the vessel's ladder to greet Tyler, but stopped short when he saw what was in his arms. "What's that?"

Josie shrank into Tyler's arms. She was a bit frightened by the new person, as cats always are about strangers. "A cat. It's a small animal that lives with us."

"What does it do?" Josh asked curiously, leaning in to get a better look, yet not getting too close.

"She sleeps, she eats, she hunts mice in the barn." Tyler stroked Josie's head, and she relaxed a bit. "She's a member of the family."

"Can I touch her, too?"

Tyler nodded, and Josh warily reached out an arm to pet Josie.

To everyone's relief, Josie seemed to greatly enjoy Josh's petting. The trio sat on the roof of the vessel together, and as time went on, Josie moved from Tyler's lap to Josh's, practically climbing all over him.

"So, what do you think of her?" Tyler asked, beaming. Seeing Josh happy made him happy, too.

Josh took a moment to respond, scratching behind Josie's ear for a moment. "I think I really like cats."

From that night on, whenever Tyler went to see Josh, he brought Josie with him.