12. Rampant - Something that grows or expands; unrestrained.

TRIGGER WARNING (ISH): Schizophrenia

After breakfast, Tyler went out with Jay to search for chicken eggs in the hen house. Some of the chickens were outside, but a few were sitting in their nests, drinking water, and eating food out of small wooden troughs.

As soon as they stepped into the hen house, Jay immediately headed straight for a particularly yellow chicken over by the water, scooping her up into his arms. "Jenna!" The chicken made a couple of annoyed chicken noises, but didn't try to struggle free from the boy's grasp.

Tyler chuckled a little, despite all the thoughts running rampant through his mind; there was no denying how adorable his little brother was. "Jay, I don't think Jenna wants to cuddle."

Jay pouted, gave Jenna another big hug, and then put her down. The chicken gave him another irritated look and then walked off and drank from the water bowls.

With that sorted out, Tyler began searching for eggs, digging around in the unoccupied nests and the corners of the hen house. Before long, he and Jay had found six eggs each, and no more. They left the hen house and went back to the human house, where they entered into the kitchen.

"We've got the eggs, Mom," Jay said cheerily, plopping his basket onto the counter. Tyler set his basket next to Jay's, being gentle so as not to break the fragile eggs.

"Thank you," Tyler's mom said, taking the baskets and putting them next to the sink, beginning to wash one of the eggs. "You boys can go for now."

Jay ran back outside to go play, but Tyler went straight to his room instead. He closed the door behind him and sat on his bed. He put his hand to his head and took in a few shaky, delicate breaths.

Sometimes, Tyler wondered if he was schizophrenic, if only borderline. He had a very wild imagination, and every once in a while, especially if there was nothing else to occupy his mind, he would see things. Little flashes, here and there. A figure outside his window. An unknown voice from down the hall. Laughter, starting somewhere inside his head and then emerging into the real world.

It was a little scary sometimes, but he had never mentioned it to his parents. Now, however, Tyler was seriously worried. Was what he'd seen last night part of his usual strange experiences? Or was this something more?

_____________

A/N: I do not mean to offend or disrespect Jenna Joseph by having her character appear as a barnyard animal

Also, I don't know a lot about schizophrenia, so if I did a bad job of describing it or something, please let me know in the comments!