54. Hope - Expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

And so, as time went on, Tyler always had his hope.

Until, eventually, it started to fade.

Tyler stopped going to the vessel in the forest. Josh wasn't there, anyway, and he wasn't coming back; what was the point? Even Josie had stopped going to the forest. It was time for him to stop, too.

He stopped a lot of things. He stopped crying every night, he stopped hoping and praying and dreaming.

Before long, Tyler graduated from high school and moved off the farm to take classes at Ohio State, majoring in English. He made friends, lost friends, made some more. He went to parties and clubs and even the occasional bar, even though he didn't really want to.

He graduated from college with high honors, and moved to New York for a job with a popular newspaper. He tried so hard to forget the farm, especially the forest, and everything that had happened there. He met lots of people, and plenty of them were nice, but they werne't him.

Tyler didn't even let himself think his name anymore. It had been almost a decade since the night he'd disappeared, and, with time and distance pressuring him, Tyler did it.

He gave up on Josh.

A/N: Next chapter is the last one!