Chapter 27

I hate homework, I hate my stupid teachers and I hate college! I’ve been stuck on this question for God knows how long, I’ve already tried searching it on Google and my last hope which was Wikipedia, but I still couldn’t find anything. I could ask my friend Isabelle from my class but she won’t pick up her phone or respond to my texts which I sent her two hours ago. God please help me right now, I don’t know what to do.

A knock on the door makes me break away from my silent prayer I was saying concentrating on the wooden door.

“Who’s there?” I ask into mid-air. The door opened revealing dad and Candice? What is Candice doing here? Dad gives me a small smile and walks into the room with Candice behind him.

“Your friend here said she wanted to talk to you about something important” Dad told me with a straight face. I nod my head as dad leaves the room shutting the door behind him. From Candice’s face I can see she is finding this as awkward as me. She hasn’t made a comment or said anything stupid. Something is definitely up and I need to ask he about the scars I saw on her wrist a couple of days ago.

“Sit down Candice” I tell her, she looks at me and sits at the corner of my bed as her hands are placed in her lap as she looked around nervously. “Candice are you ok?” I ask her, she doesn’t respond but makes a curtain around her face with her hair. What’s going on with her these days? Getting off the bed I walk to the other side and sit next to her placing my hand on her arm, slowly I cautiously take it in my arm and place it on my lap and turn it around. The cuts I saw the other day were bleeding red. My eyes widened as my chest tightens and the sight in front of my eyes. “Candice you’re bleeding” I cry out, taking her arm I slowly get her up and lead her to my bathroom switching on the light. “Candice sit down” I tell her as I tap the plastic chair that is right in front of me, turning towards the cabinet I open it and take out some scissors, cotton wool, TCP, tape and a bandage. Closing it I put the things on the floor and kneel on the floor taking hold of Candice’s arm. “This might hurt ok” I tell her as I sink the cotton wool on the tap of the TCP, the liquid dissolved through as I start to tap her arm gently as she lets out a few hisses. Taking a gulp I feel guilty and sad about the pain she’s going through right now and I don’t even know why this is happening to her and whether someone did this to her or whether she did it to herself. Once I finished everything I tell Candice to go back into my room while I clean up. Looking in the mirror I see the tension running through my face and the bags that are now much more visible underneath my eyes. Gosh what is happening to me these days, taking the pony from my wrist I tie my hair up in a messy bun and walk out of the bathroom shutting of the light and closing the door behind me? I see Candice sitting on the bed as she cries her eyes out, running towards her I pull her in a hug as she wraps her arms around me.

“It hurts” She says in a broken voice. I hug her tighter and close my own eyes. Pulling away from her I look her in the eyes as her dark brown look back at me.

“What happened Candice, why were there cuts on your arm?” I ask her, she lets out a few more sobs before wiping her tears with a tissue I gave her.

“You don’t understand Snow. You don’t understand. My whole life is a complete wreck and nobody even knows what I’m going through. I just hide my emotions with a smile because that’s the way I’ve been taught to live and I’m tired of smiling and I’m tired of hiding my feelings. I just want someone who’s there for me and someone who can listen to my problems” She tells me. Looking at her sadly I tap her arm and make her look me in the eye.

“I’m your friend, I’m here for you right now Candice” I tell her. In return she rolls her eyes and laughs a little.

“Really because all you ever told me to do was piss off” She says in an angry tone. This s why I was feeling guilty because all this time she was going through this amount of pain and I wasn’t even there to hear her story.