Part 15

“Do you remember the time when we were sitting in that tree in the park and that guy came up to us and said we had to leave?” John said before stuffing more food in his mouth.

“because he didn't want his kids to see all the PDA stuff, and all we did was share an ice cream!” I said, as we both started laughing. It was good knowing that it was almost back to usual again. We had been talking about our childhood for about forty minutes before aunt Jess stood up.

“I just have to take a phone call.” She said before walking out of the room looking scared and sad.

“Is something wrong?” John asked as he looked at her. I shrugged.

“She has been acting kinda weird today, but I have no idea why.” He slowly nodded.

“Let's go to my room.” I said as I grabbed both of our plates from the table and put them in the sink. And yes, he was finish eating. He stood up and followed me. Before I got the chance to open the door to my room, John grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I looked up at him with a confused look.

“This is my job, remember?” I laughed as he opened the door, turned around so he was facing me, lifted me up and carried me inside.

When we were kids, we used to believe that if a prince carried a princess into a castle, she would become a queen and the prince would be her king. So we always pretended to be a prince and a princess where our castle was my room.

“Now, one day, you'll be a queen!” He said laughing, as he put me down. He looked around, not recognising the room he was in.

“Wow! Things have changed.” I just nodded as I sat down on the bed. He sat down next to me. All of a sudden he started bouncing up and down on the bed just like we used to do since we weren't allowed to jump on the bed. As he did so, we could hear the sound of crumpled paper. He looked at me quickly before lifting up the mattress, only to find my envelope.

I tried to take it from him, but he held it above his head, making it almost impossible to take it. As he opened it, his facial expression changed. He tossed the envelope across the room, making all the blades fly out and get spread all over the floor. Tears started to form in my eyes. I was about to go pick them up, when I felt two strong arms being wrapped around me. John pulled me up on his lap and buried his face in my neck. I just sat there as he tightened his grip around me.

I don't know how, but he made me feel so safe. Even if it has been almost three years since I got a hug from him, it was just like they used to be. I loved the way he made me feel, although you wouldn't have to ask me twice to take the butterflies away from my stomach. Wait, what? Why did I have butterflies in my stomach? Why did I feel this way. He was a friend, right? To fall for you friend, or best friend, was like the stupidest thing to do. There were three options. 1: He doesn't feel the same. 2: You end up together, but you break up, and never talk again. Or 3: He feels the same, and you live happily ever after with two kids and a dog named Molly. And option number 1 or 2, were most likely to happen. Or in my case, option number 1.

Just brush it off (Y/N)! You can do it! You have to.

“Ay girly, snap out of it.” John said laughing, while flicking his fingers in a z-form in front of my face. I looked at him confused due to his hand motion, before letting a small chuckle out.

“Okay, that turned out a bit sassier than it was supposed to.” He said a bit embarrassed. I just laughed.

“What're you thinking about?” He asked as he lightly punched my shoulder.

“What, me? Nothing.” I said, maybe a bit to fast. So lying like that wasn't my best side.

“C'mon! I have known you since we were little kids, I know when something is up.” Okay (Y/N), just make something up. Quick!

“I'm just hungry that's all” Really? That's the best you can think of? Food? Right after dinner? I'm impressed. I really have to work on my lying skills.

“But we just ate?”

“I mean, I - I want ice cream. Yep, ice cream.” Making progress here. Not. He grabbed my hand and dragged me up from the bed.

“Where are we going?” I asked as he run through the house.

“To go get some ice cream, duh!” He said laughing. As we passed aunt Jess I yelled at her telling her we were going out for a while. Se didn't move, just made a weird noise which I assume was some kind of approval. She had been acting really weird today, and it was staring to worry me.

*Half an hour later*

we were sitting on a bench in the park, both licking our own ice creams. I had a chocolate flavoured one and John got one with a strawberry flavour. As we sat there, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the view was. It was a stunning sunset which coloured the sky in red, orange and pink.

I noticed how the birds floated on the thin air, how they managed to dive into the water and reach surface in an elegant way. Everything was put together so perfectly, like a piece of art. It was breathtaking, until a shadow slowly appeared in front of us.

“Well isn't it the two lovebirds?” Even the smirk on his face made me nervous.