Chapter 24

YURI

My eyes were closed but I could still see shadows moving before a bright light  behind my lids.

I don't remember anything. I only remember pain and Nishigori. The next time he said he would finish the job.

I tried to swallow but there seemed to be something lodged in my throat. I could hear a heart monitor beep and machines humming in the distance. Voices trailed off as the shadows disappeared.

Where am I? What's going on?

Open your eyes!

I waited until the shadows stopped moving and only the machines could be heard.

I blinked furiously as my eyes squinted open. The bright light above burned bright. I tried to shield my face but something prevented me from lifting my arms.

Eventually my eyes adjusted. I was in an infirmary. Several empty cots lie next to mine. I was hooked up by clear tubes to several machines.

I spotted a red blood bag hanging above and felt dizzy.

I must have made some form of noise because  just as I glanced to the side Victor was there standing beside my bed.

I stared in awe. I had almost forgotten how handsome he was. How blue his eyes could be.

His blue eyes brimmed with tears making them shine. His long fingers hovered above me not sure what to do. A flash of gold caught my eye.

I realised he was still wearing his ring.

Tears formed in my own eyes as I fought back emotion.

I didn't know what I wanted. I was still afraid of the monster Nishigori had shown me, but looking at the man before me; it was plain to see that he cared deeply for me.

His eyes were brimmed in red as if he had been crying. They were sunk in with dark circles as though he hadn't slept in a long time.

His eyes brightened as he watched me in earnest.

"Yuri." He spoke my name almost reverently.

"Oh my sweet. I've been so worried about you." Victor breathed.

"Where am I? Where is Yuuko?" I asked.

A strange look flitted across Victor's face before he rubbed the back of his neck. He plastered a smile on his face before shrugging.

"She's safe. She's with your werewolf  Mickey. Yakov brought you all to the mansion. It will be safer for you here." Victor explained.

"Is my father here?" I asked concerned.

"No, he went with the other monks of your house and those from the second house. He said he will be safe from Nishigori." Victor shook his head.

I sighed in relief. My father was safe and Yuuko was safe.

"How are the others?" I asked.

"Everyone is perfectly fine Milaya moyA. Relax don't hurt yourself." Victor's blue gaze bore into mine.

At the mention of the Russian pet name he gave me I broke down. Fresh tears streamed down my cheeks.

"What's wrong? Are you in pain?" Victor asked on the brink of tears himself.

"No, how- how can you be so sweet, and caring, and make me feel the way you do when you could just as easily turn into that monster from the tape." I bellowed as hot tears poured from my eyes like a faucet.

Victor paled and stepped back. His eyes hardened as he cast his gaze to the floor ashamed.

"He showed you the security tape huh?" He asked numbly. I didn't answer. I didn't have to.