Chapter 1: Hell on Earth

Omniscient POV

This had to be one of the cold winters he ever experienced

This had to be one of the cold winters he ever experienced. Seeing the people rushing home or wherever they had to go trying to get out the snow.

For Anthony it wasn't that simple , these streets were his home and have been for a while now. The only thing he had to keep him somewhat warm is a too small coat , a old hat and some wore down boots with holes in the toe area. The hem of his jeans were extremely high above his ankles that even the high top boots couldn't hide it. If anyone told him two years ago that this is how he would be living his life he would've laughed in their face. Let's just say he lived fast and reckless and those very things are the reason he's here now.

A few people dropped change into the small cup he had placed in front of him as they walked by. Most of the time he got nothing higher than a quarter but if he so happen to ever receive a dollar that alone made his day. He just wanted enough to get a sandwich since he felt like he hasn't eaten in days probably because he hasn't. Anthony did what he could but that wasn't much. Most of his days was spent trying to find a spot in one of the near by shelters and putting food in his stomach even if it came from the trash.

Picking up what he had been giving Tony stuffed everything in his coat pocket , the one that didn't have a hole in it before standing to his feet. Arms firm to his side taking long stride making sure not to bump anybody as he walked pass. Most people gave him looks of disgust for obvious reasons while others gave him pity. He wanted neither but felt like he deserved both. Walking pass the church on the Avenue he walked passed almost everyday he noticed a older woman trying to get up the many stairs while carrying a huge purse. He wanted to help but he knew she'll take one look at him think he was trying to rob instead of assist her. Set on continuing his walk to the next block when the older woman missed a step knocking herself off balance. She would've hit the cold ground if he didn't move as fast as he did. One arm wrapped around her waste while his free hand gripped her bag before a hit the concrete.

Letting out a scared filled yelped the woman gripped into the arm of the stranger that had saved her. Once she had her footing together Mary , the older woman , looked up at the young man in shock. Not because of his appearance but his eyes. They were so dark almost blacken by the devil himself. Most Christians like herself would've quickly released his hold on them and got away as fast as possible after feeling the demon spirits the hung so heavily on his soul but she didn't. Because behind those cold eyes she got a glimpse even if it was there for less than a second she saw it. Saw the helpless little boy inside him crying out  for help.

"Why don't you come inside child. Keep warm while getting God's word." Her kindness had caught him off guard. This was something he wasn't use to especially from church folks.

Getting ready to decline her offer and disappear just as fast as he appear Mary gripped his cold hand into hers.His skin was rough and dry but rather larger. Her eyes drifted down to his long fingers seeing a tattoo on his right index that read Bang. Allowing her thumb to lightly rush it she took her purse away from him before pulling him up the rest of the steps with her. Heart racing scared shit-less Anthony couldn't stop his feet as the dragged across each step feeling heavier than a ton of bricks. He knew the looks he would receive walking into this building and they would only make him feel lower than he already did and was. Even though they call themselves Children of God and spiritual people Tony found out that most people that goes to Church every Sunday was the ones looking down on him the most. Like he was a disgrace to them and the man above. Tucking his head low as the older women who still a tight grip on his hand pushed open one of the double doors. The sounds of "Father, Can You Hear Me" being sung filled his ears. The simple voice caused him to lift his head trying to see who that beautiful voice belonged to when his eyes landed on a young girl , a woman who was like no other. Her beauty caused the air to get caught in his lungs stopping him from breathing. As her voice pulled at his heart Mary realized the sudden interest this young man had in her granddaughter. Almost like he was star struck or hypnotized.