Chapter 23: Epiphany

3 Days Later…

I went out for lunch with my girls talking to them about our problems. I noticed that Lisa had sunglasses on her face and she was quiet. Even though we were eating outside she never wears sunglasses. I brushed it off for a minute. I looked through the menu and everything looked great on the menu. We waited for the waiter to greet us. “So what's going on newlywed”? I asked looking over at Toni. She smiled “Everything is fine it's just his mom and I don’t get a long, she's so controlling and I don’t feel accepted. We always argue over him “she sighed. “Damn I didn’t know Tish was that annoying “I laughed. “Yeah she is a handful “She said taking a sip of her ice tea. “Also Jacob wants me to be a housewife basically and I don’t want to you know I worked hard to become a nurse and I don’t want my dreams taken away from me “She sighed. “What about you”? Toni asked.  I sighed placing my menu on the table.

“Well Chres is mad at me because he wants to adopt one of his basketball player. Since his mom died and I said it wasn’t a good idea and he was saying how I was so selfish and it’s all about me blah blah blah but he hasn’t been home in like 3 days and I'm getting worried and emotional” I explained

“Well you are selfish Cori do you not how much shit Chres has done for you” Lisa said. I was shocked at how blunt she was “I am not” I said. “Yes you are girl, that boy would cross the Hudson River for you “Toni joked making me laughed. “I don’t see it” I admitted. “Girl do you ever sit down and think of all the things he does for you? Lisa asked. “I mean I know he does things for me but I never sat down and thought of it” I said.

“Girl he takes care of you when you're sick and he buys your medication”

“He saved you from being addicted from your medicine remember that day he threw your depression meds in the garbage disposer because you depended on them too much”

“He saved you from being raped by Julian and them he came in there with a fucking gun at the right time”

“He performed CPR on you and brought your ass back to life when you passed out at his dads birthday

“He was there when you suffered your miscarriages

“He defended you when your dad slapped you

“He put money in your account just because

“Helped you with your confidence he adapted to your issues and stayed because he loves you he could of left you for a girl that wasn’t sick and less complicated”

“He got a tattoo of your name girl, so you know it's real

“Your engagement ring is bomb and ya'll went on a pre-honeymoon

“He never complains when you ask him shit girl you got it good Chres is a great man for you and all you want to do is nag all day and not compromise “Toni said.

“Right like all he wants to do is adopt Tre and have a child by you but you want to be difficult all the damn time I'm surprised he's still with your ass because honestly If I was a nigga I would of left your ass a long time ago. Lisa said I sat there and didn’t say a word sometimes the truth hurts and it hurt like hell they were absolutely right. I shed a tear wiping my eye “You guys are right I have been difficult lately he really put up with a lot” I said.

“Yes girl he has we don’t want to make you upset but we had to let you know come on now ya'll got to get everything right, your about to get married for Christ sakes” she said. I know, I know... I looked up at Lisa she looked off. “Lisa why all of sudden you have on shades you never wear shades” I asked. “Nothing just a new look” She said quickly.