Chapter 8

"Treat me with respect" Zanthus said calmly.

"Earn it Mr.Businessman, oops! Do you only know how to earn money?" I spoke in my sweet sarcastic voice.

"And you can't even earn money right now" he glowered at me.

"I can earn it far better than you" I replied.

He smirked at my answer. He was leaning back on his chair while I was sitting in the same place where I sat for my interview. There was no doubt that he was damn handsome but I had to ignore it to think wisely.

"I think you only have a mouth and no brain. Think, why were you fired? Why is nobody hiring you even as a waitress..." he walked up to me "or why did you lose your stupid living place?"

Now, I related everything and it all made sense.

How could I not observe it? I was so bent on getting my life together that I didn't know what made my life wrong in the first place. Great Nora!

I pushed him away and stood up "You! I lost everything because of you. Jobs can be earned, houses can be bought but because of you I had to sell my mom's watch at a pawn shop for rent of a place that you already bought. You made me lose my precious memory. I despise you."

He smirked and that only added fuel to my anger and appeal to his goddamn features.

I started to walk away but he held my wrist and made me sit forcefully "What more could you want, you jerk."

"Language!" he chided.

"Sure, French? Spanish? Or should I speak Italian with seasoning of cheese?" I replied sarcastically.

"You won't have any way out if you keep this up, don't rile me" he retorted. I rolled my eyes at him.

He stepped away "Let's get to business. You'll work as my secretary starting tomorrow. Don't worry you will be paid..."

"I already told I will never work for you, never" I spat.

My anger didn't seem to affect him. His calmness irked me. It was clear that he had it all well planned.

"Listen, no one will hire you, I already proved that and if you still say no, I will go tell your friend Charlotte about how you secured her job and before that I will fire her" he said in a dangerously calm voice.

I couldn't believe him.

Anything but that. Charlie will stop trusting me. She can't lose her job, she can't lose her smile.

I was still hyperventilating when a contract was pushed towards me.

"Sign it."

"I don't understand. We both hate each other so why do you want to hire me?" I asked even though I knew the answer already.

He leaned back in his chair "Nobody challenges me and you clearly told me in your interview that you won't ever work for me. So, I proved you wrong. I never loose but you made the mistake of messing with me. Now, I will show you what a real mess is. Stop wasting my precious time. Sign the contract."

He didn't need to tell me twice. I had already lost everything so I couldn't lose to afford one last thing that I treasured.

Charlotte.

I signed it.

"You're a blackmailer" I glared at him.

We both stood up, he came closer to me and smirked "I would prefer the term strategist for that."

That's it.

I kicked him in his family jewels.

He doubled over in pain "Respect was part of the contract."

"From tomorrow blackmailer" with that I left.

On my way out, I saw Aidan coming towards me with an apologetic smile "Hey I'm s..."

I kicked his nuts too. He started groaning in pain.

Now I feel better. Much, much better.

At home, I welcomed Charlie.

"Here's your pizza Nora" she grinned.

I jumped and snatched it "That's my girl."

"Really Nora, you have changed my life. This job means so much to me. But I wish I could do the same for you. I..."

I interrupted her "Charlie, relax, I got the job in the same company and I am starting tomorrow. Stop overthinking."

"What? How? I mean that's amazing, you're paying for the pizza tomorrow!" she hugged me.

Thank goodness at least she's happy.

Next morning we were both getting ready for our respective jobs.

"What are you gonna wear? It's your first day, wear the dress I wore yesterday" she suggested.

We only had one good dress and I didn't want to spoil it.

"Nah! I will just wear simple black pants and a white shirt. I don't want people to fall in love with me" I winked changing the topic.

"Ok beautiful" she smiled.

She gave my hair loose curls and they covered my back. My makeup consisted of cold cream and lip gloss. All in all, I looked fine.

"You look good!" I said.

"Thanks Nora. You could also slay if you weren't so uptight for staying simple."

I rolled my eyes "Let's grab a sub on the way. I am hungry."

We took a taxi together and reached our destination on time.

"I'll be going to the 34th floor, see you, all the best" Charlie made her way inside.

Ok! You will do fine, Nora. It's all for Charlotte.

I saw the building in front of me but in my imagination, it was labelled as

'Welcome to Hell.'

........
So Bibliophiles, do you love your job or do you also have no way out?

Did this chapter made you smile?

Comment and vote.

PriyaSriv15
awkwardlatin
EstherBassey217
RobThier
ikayikay962
Keynal02
JazzaBooks
sweetdreamer33