Chapter 34: The Dreamer

June 18, 2018 - 3 days before the ball

     Ever since Elira's parents were aware that their daughter's life was at stake. They ordered my father to train more guards and assigned more of them for the day of the ball.

I was currently helping him train new recruits, that wouldn't even stand a chance against Elira herself. But that was the reason why I had to train them. After training them, I would go to my shift to guard Elira.

I arrived at Elira's bedroom to see she wasn't there. No one was there.

     "Where could she be?" I walk out to the balcony, she wasn't there, I looked down to the garden, and there was no sign of her being there either.

I quickly walk out the bedroom, that I bumped into Chad, "Are you looking for Elira?" he asked.

"Do you know where she is?" he nodded.

"Follow me,"

     We walked towards the staircase leading up to the fourth floor and continue until we were on the rooftop.

     "She's painting the sunset," Chad said and left.

      I walked closer to Elira, who was wearing a short light blue dress. It was one of her favorites. I kept my distance, watching her concentrate.

     "You can come closer," she said as she was stroking the canvas.

"I didn't want to disturb you," I said walking closer.

"You wouldn't even if you tried," she said her eyes looking at the sunset, the sky had hues of pink and orange, as it slowly turned dark.

     I watched as she gently held the brush, stroking details on the canvas. There were small silhouettes of the village buildings, on the bottom part of the painting.

     "What do you think?" she asked smiling at me.

      She moved her body, so I could get a better look at the painting. As I took in the whole painting, it was mesmerizing.

     "One of your best works yet," I said and she nodded.

      She put her paintbrush away and started gathering her things.

     "Sigmund, how long have you've known Jivan?" she asked as I was helping her clean up.

"We trained together in Bethescene since we were kids, why?" I hand her a tube of paint and she placed it in a box of paints.

"Has he always been like that?" she asked. She dried off her paint brushes using a towel and placed them inside the box.

"Like what?" I asked. She closed the box of paint, handing it to me.

"A jerk," she carefully put the painting down from the easel and then folded the easel.

"Let me hold that," I said getting the easel. I held it with my left hand, whilst the box of paints was on my right, I wrapped my arm around it, holding it against my waist.

     She carried her still wet painting and headed to the stairs.

     "Honestly, he's only like that with you," I said as we reached the fourth floor.

She stopped walking towards the stairs going to the third floor, "with me?"

"I shouldn't have said anything," I said walked ahead of her and she followed.

     Elira was silent until we reached her bedroom.

     "Don't think about it so much," I said as I placed her box on her shelf where she kept all her art materials.