Chapter 36: The Human

June 19, 2018 - 2 days before the ball

     It was a Monday afternoon and I just got home from my job. I unlock the door to my house, to see unexpected guests. Elira never really notified me when she would visit, but she wasn't the only one in my house, there were three other faces: Tristan, Chad, and Javier.

Having four elves of high position in your house is totally normal, it seems. Nothing phases me nowadays. Is this really my life?

     "I didn't know you were coming," I said taking off my sling bag and placing it down on a drawer nearby.

"I wanted to surprise you!" she said and hugged me, "Are you happy to see me?" she looked up from my chest, smiling cutely.

"What do you want?" I raised my eyebrow and she pouted.

"Why do you think I want something?" she pulled away and I looked at Tristan who was snickering. So she did want something.

     I walked over to my plain brown couch to sit down and Elira follows, as well with her entourage. They stand behind the couch, watching Elira like a hawk, strange.

     "Do you guys want something to drink?" I asked and they all shook their heads.

I look at Elira and she was just smiling, I gesture for her to come closer. I lean to her ear to whisper, "Do they really have to be here?" I leaned back into the couch.

She looked at them and then at me, "Unfortunately they do."

I nodded, "So what brings you here, your highness," I bowed my head and she nudged my shoulder rolling her eyes.

"Tris," she said and he quickly brought out a gold envelope giving it to me.

"What's this?" I asked and she just shrugged, "If an insect of some sort pops out, I'm kicking you out of my house."

She giggled shaking her head, "Just open it."

     I carefully opened the envelope, expecting something to scare me, but there wasn't anything, just a white card with gold lettering. Elves love their gold.

     I looked at her and she gestured me to read it out loud, "Selwyn the Human, seriously?" I looked at her. She grinned, "You are cordially invited to the annual summer ball this June 21, 2018. Love, Elira."

"You're inviting me to your ball?" I looked at her and she nodded.

"You attended others before, what's the problem?" she frowned.

     I put the envelope down on the couch, staring at it.

     "Are you coming?" she asked. I looked at her and I sighed.

"Can we talk privately?" I said and she looked at the boys, who hesitantly nodded, "Let's go to my room."

"No funny business, Selwyn," Tristan said as we walked up the stairs.

I opened the door to my bedroom and let her in first, "So why did we need to-"

I pulled in her for a hug, "You're beautiful."

"Selwyn ..." she hugged me back, burying her head in my chest.

"You're beautiful, Elira," I pulled away and her eyes were watering.

"You're not coming are you?" she asked and I shake my head.

"It's not that I don't want to go, but I don't think I can bear ... seeing you getting engaged at the end of the night," I forced out a smiled.