Academic Competitors: MarkDy (2)

Prologue; Wendy has always been first in her classes. She had an affinity for studying and expanding her mind with knowledge; she loved learning. And always will.

Normally, when new students are introduced in her classes, she doesn't feel threatened, because she knows she has the mental capacity to handle the load of work shoved at them (the students) and—simultaneously—retain the information given. Call her a nerd, if you will.

But, unfortunately, the day she felt threatened arrived in full force. The Mark Tuan walked into class, practically spilling formulas all over the floor. Whispers filled the room.

"Dude. That's Mark Tuan. He's basically the Albert Einstein of our generation. Maybe even Isaac Newton."

No way.

"I heard the teachers don't even bother grading his tests. They just know he'll ace it."

No freaking way.

"He is so good-looking!

Wendy hated to admit it, but he is.

"His glasses are cute."

Wendy's heart melted. They are.

He finally introduced himself even though the rest of the class already knew his name.

"Hello everyone, my name is Mark Tuan. I'm new here, so please take care of me." He pushed his glasses.

The girls swooned over the mere action. Except for Wendy.

Mark flew through the desks, trying to find an empty desk. His eyes laid on Wendy—She's really cute—and the available seat next to her. He sat down and everyone whined.

"Why didn't he sit next to me? I'm prettier than her!"

"He could've tutored me and then we'd fall in love."

"Man, we could've been best bros."

"Now I can't pass this class! Stupid Wendy."

"Yeah, why does Wendy ruin everything?"

Wendy heard all of these remarks. It was impossible not to, but she ignored them, keeping a straight face on. Mark noticed her indifferent expression and mentally applauded her for staying calm and mature. It made him like her even more.

What really made him attracted to her was how she raised her hand to answer every question the teacher asked. Again, despite the unnecessary comments, she still remained quiet about it. What's even more impressive is how all of her answers are correct. That shut her peers right up.

As if Mark need another reason to admire her. She's cute, mature, and smart. What else can she do?

Class was dismissed and everyone scurried through the door with their backpacks, but Mark managed to catch Wendy's attention.

"Hey, you're Wendy, right?"

She turned around. "Yeah."

"I'm—"

"I know you're Mark Tuan. You introduced yourself earlier and every other girl in the room whispered it, too."

He blinked once, stunned. The awkward silence was still present, so he scratched his neck and coughed a fake cough. Wendy kept staring at him, expecting an answer. When he realized he needed to reply, his face flushed.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Right. Sorry. You're an excellent observer and thanks for paying attention?" The last part ended up sounding as a question because this whole conversation was awkward.

Wendy wasn't fazed by it. "I always pay attention. It's easier to focus when you're quiet."

"You make a good point. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I think you're mentally strong. Even with all of the noise, you only cared about listening to the teacher. It's great of you to act rationally in a situation like that."

She grinned. "Thanks. You're quite the excellent observer yourself. See you tomorrow, Mark!" And with that, she exited through the door, leaving a very, very happy Mark.

She smiled at me!!