二十二

The weather had grown colder throughout the week

The weather had grown colder throughout the week. A thin layer of ice covered the streets & made people trip and slip wherever they went. Cold breath went up as fog in the air and disappeared into the morning sky, where a faint glow of the sun was visible.

A dark haired male made his way through the little village, occasionally helping the old folks steady themselves when the ice made them slip. He was a kind fellow, a young man that had nothing but pure kindness in his heart. But that heart had gone through things, horrible events, that made him grow fearful and paranoid. The man was not smart and neither was he sharp, but he was always hardworking and ready to help people in need. He was handsome, no one could deny that, so his lack of intelligence made up for the good looks he had been blessed to have.

He was on his way to the bakery, a small shop that smelt of fresh bread and baked goods. His mother had assigned him to do a few errands, since the only thing he could do at home was mope around and avoid his siblings. The shop was on the market place, a large square in the middle of town, and it was already filled with people who were up and about at 8 in the morning.

As he was about to enter the bakery, he was stopped by a hand placed on his shoulder. With curious eyes he followed the hand to a slim arm and then to a friendly familiar face. Maid Mary smiled at him, sadness and relief combined into an odd mix that shone through her eyes.

"Jungkook", she spoke, her breath coming out like tiny white ghost that disappeared into the air, "I'm so glad to see you".

The male was confused, and overall stressed at seeing the gentle face. He had been avoiding speaking, thinking- even dreaming about the Kim's residence, and now there was this encounter, with someone who was going to talk about the things he wanted to forget. He was at a loss of words. He didn't want to be rude, but he also didn't want to speak with her. But, he didn't have a choice, because as soon as Maid Mary noticed his hesitation, the grip on his shoulder tightened.

"I know you left for a reason, a reason you've been keeping a secret and that's fine. But since you left, things at the Kim's residence haven't been the same", she sighed, her eyes casted to the ground. Jungkook wanted to run. He didn't want to hear about the things he caused. It had already been eating him up, guilt crawling through his veins until it burnt through his heart. He had thought about Taehyung hating him, about the master knowing it was wrong to hire him, about disappointing his mother once again,... These things were raging through his head with no idea if they were the truth or not. But it was better that way, not knowing the truth. If he knew how much Taehyung missed him, or how bad the master felt, he would surely feel only more guilt and it would ruin him. He didn't need the truth. But did Maid Mary care? No.

"Taehyung hasn't been the same since you left either. We all knew you had a special bond with him and it seems you two were deeper involved with each other than you both had expected. Since that night you left... he hasn't been himself anymore", she explained, not once glancing at the male whose hands had started to tremble, "He's been stuck in this childlike mind space for weeks. He won't leave his room and throws tantrums whenever something little gets in the way of what he wants. He sleeps most of the time and I hear him talk to his stuffed animals whenever he thinks no one is around. The master doesn't know what to do anymore. He's looking for a psychiatrist to talk to Taehyung".

He didn't want to hear about this. He didn't want to listen about the wreck that the eighteen year old boy had become after he left him. He didn't want more guilt thrown at him.

He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't. He didn't.

"No", Jungkook shook his head and shrugged the hand off his shoulder, "I won't listen to this. No. No. No!"

With that last yell he spurted away from the bakery, and away from Maid Mary, the old woman surprised at the young male's reaction. The town's folk stopped and looked at the sprinting boy who wanted to be left alone, far away from everyone.

~

Taehyung's father sighed for the umpteenth time that day. He watched the sleek black car leave his driveway through the large window in the living room . A psychiatrist had only just talked to Taehyung for over an hour, but it seemed that even she hadn't been able to crack the boy's strange behavior. So now the woman had left, with a paycheck in hand even though she hadn't done anything to help.

"This can't go on for much longer", he spoke heavily, sensing the numerous maids standing behind him in the main room, "We need to find Jungkook".

"Maid Mary told us she tried talking to him", maid Ji-hye spoke, her information surprising Taehyung's father, "Apparently Jungkook ran away after she told him what had happened to Taehyung. He didn't want to listen to her".

He glanced at the ceiling, where upstairs Maid Mary was trying to feed Taehyung his lunch. The maids looked at him in anticipation, wondering what the man was thinking of. He stared back at them and firmly nodded to himself.

"I have a call to make".