Chapter 5

Thomas's POV

It's been several days since we started this trip. Several days since Mihno found (Y/N), several days since I found out she and I had known each other before my memories of her were taken away, several days since she told me she was telepathic, and several days on this deep blue world we call the ocean. The sun was especially hot today, we were all sweaty and thirsty. The only thing cooling us down on deck was the occasional sea breeze that hit our face like a gulp of water after running for hours, something Mihno and I could remember plainly. "Guys, we're here!" I heard Mihno shout. Ahead of us was where we left off. Another journey is beginning.

"So what's the plan exactly?" Brenda asked, tying up the laces on her boots. "We're gonna take a couple cars to the remains of the last city, find Newt's body, then let (Y/N) Cure him," I explained and she nodded. "But are you sure he was a crank when you— he died? Because I don't think she can cure dead humans." She remarked. "I mean... I think so," I shook my head and looked down. I didn't want to think about it.

Time Skip| Thomas's POV

We piled as groups into the jeeps. Jorge, Brenda, Mihno, Frypan, and I in one. (Y/N), Gally, Seph, and Harvey in the other. (Y/N) insisted that we left an empty seat for Newt with the car she's in. I had to agree or otherwise she said she'd find him herself, cure him, then leave with him and her other cranks. We've been driving for a while, so I asked, "Are we close to there?" Jorge nodded in response and everyone else stayed silent, lost in thought. I checked behind us to see if (Y/N)'s car was still behind us, which it was. I was lost in thought until I felt ya jolt to a stop. "We're here," Brenda said, her voice sounding raspy.

I walked over to (Y/N), she was handing out medical masks to everyone. "We don't want to breathe in too much of that air," she said once everyone, including me and herself, had a mask. She pulled out an AR-15, and a couple rifles. She kept the AR-15 and handed the rifles to Frypan, Gally, and Seph. "Let's go, bitches," she said and pulled her mask up as she walked towards the remains of the last city.

We walked around, no signs of any cranks. A rat ran past us and Brenda kicked it. "Was that necessary?" I asked and she shrugged. "Rats have always carried diseases, most likely carries the flare too," she answered. Makes sense. I kept leading forward to where the building was. It was torn down and I remembered how Teresa fell from it. Tears welled in my eyes at the thought. I shook my head and kept walking forward. Can't break now.
We finally reached it and walked around to where I last saw Newt. But something was wrong, his body wasn't there. "Are you sure this is where you left him?" (Y/N) asked. I was sure. It was one of the worst things I've had to experience, and that says a lot. "Yea-Yeah I just don't get why he's not here..." I trailed off and looked at the blood stains from our fight. She bent down and traced her fingers over the blood stain where he once laid. "I do," she said, catching everyone's attention as she stood up and looked at us, "He wasn't really dead."