Chapter 10

We had been driving again back towards our ship base. Saw a couple cranks. Drove right over them.. literally. Newt stared out the window at one of the dead cranks. "Glad that's not me..." he mumbled. I reached over and put my hand over his and he looked over at me. I heard Harvey scoff and I snapped my head back to him. "May I help you?" I spat and he rolled his eyes, looking out the window. "He likes you, doesn't he?" Newt questioned and I shrugged. "I don't know what's gotten into him," I answered and glanced back at Seph who was fighting back a laugh. The look on Seph's face made me laugh then we both just couldn't stop laughing. Our laughter came to a stop when I realized we were about to crash into Jorge's stopped vehicle. "Shit!" I cursed as I slammed on breaks, the car jolting to a stop. I opened my door and walked over to their Jeep. "What the hell is going on guys?" I asked then I looked at Jorge.  "We're out of fuel, Hermana," Jorge said and I sighed in frustration. "Well we have no room for anyone else so we can just take turns driving and walking until the other jeep runs out of fuel," I suggested and he nodded. "We'll walk first. You keep driving Newt, he's probably exhausted," Thomas said and I nodded slowly.
I walked back to the car and got in. "What's wrong?" Gally asked. "They're out of fuel. We're gonna take turns driving and walking," I explained as I drove around the broken down vehicle. "We can get out and let the girls ride in the car," Seph suggested and I raised my eyebrow. "Ok, 1: girls would last longer than you guys out there. And 2: I don't really want to be in the same car as Teresa after everything she's done," I pointed out and he shrugged back into his seat.

Newt's POV

I stared at (Y/N) while she was driving. I'd really grown a liking to this girl. After all, she did save my life, but there was more to her than just that. I noticed her humming a tune. It didn't sound familiar, but spending 3 years in a Maze doesn't make you very familiar with music. "What are you humming to, love?" I asked her. I didn't really mean to call her 'love'. It just came out like I had said it a million times before. She smiled at me lightly. "It's my favorite song. It's called 'Bette Davis Eyes'," she answered. "Maybe you can sing it to me sometime," I suggested.

It was soon our turn to walk. I didn't mind it too much, they only drove somewhat ahead of us. (Y/N) was walking in the front. I was about to catch up with her when someone grabbed my arm. I turned to them and looked. It was Harvey. "What the bloody hell do you want?" I asked and snatched my arm from him. "Look, (Y/N) is my girl. Not yours. I don't care if she saved your life, she saved mine way before she came looking for you. But she's mine, so back off," he said. There was so much hatred in his eyes, but I wasn't afraid of him. He's just a bloody crank as well as I am one. Though, we're both cured. I then realized I had a question to ask (Y/N). I sped up my pace and caught up with her. "Hey, (Y/N)," I said as I walked at the same speed as her along her side. "Yeah?" she questioned. "What if I catch the flare again?" I asked. I was really nervous. What if she can only help me once? "You won't," she answered. What? "My serum is gonna keep flowing through your pretty little bloodstream forever. You're immune now," she chuckled. This was amazing. "Seriously?!" I asked, excited beyond belief. She giggled at my sudden outburst of excitement. "Yes, calm down," she said and I pulled her into a tight hug, kissing her head. "Thank you.. really," I said calmly and I felt her nod. When she pulled out of my embrace I felt colder, like I needed her in my arms. "So what's it like... having the flare?" she asked and I shook my head. "Bloody horrible. Horrible head aches, mood swings, sudden outbursts of anger, aggression, and paranoia.." I trailed off and she stopped for a second then looked at me. "So it's like being on your period except you're actually dying," she said and I laughed. It felt good to laugh. "Yeah something like that," I smiled and shook my head, "But if girls go through that once a month then I suddenly feel really bad." She laughed at my statement this time. She's beautiful when she laughs. She's bloody beautiful all the time. She makes it feel like everything will get better.

After turns of driving and walking, we reached the ship. Except the ship wasn't on the shore. "Did you guys leave it in the water on purpose?" I asked and (Y/N) shook her head. We heard laughing and noticed a bunch of cranks on the ship. "Oh hell no," I heard Brenda say from beside (Y/N). "They want to play pirates? Let's play," (Y/N) said and pulled out her gun. Bloody hell.