Chapter 27

We ran through the maze. I had no idea where I was going so I let Thomas and Minho lead the way. We turned so many corners that I was starting to get dizzy, but I drank some water and kept fighting the urge to fall down and sleep. Thomas and Minho came to an abrupt stopped, causing some of the guys behind us to run into each other. "What's wrong?" I whispered nervously. "Cranks," Minho said breathlessly. "Ah shit," Ossian mumbles behind us. "Newt, stay in the middle of the crowd, you'll bevless likely to get bitten," I said, causing grumbles to emerge from the other guys. "You guys are immune, he's not. Get over it." I loaded the gun that Brenda gave me. "Okay, I'll shoot until I'm out of bullets, then we charge," I said, getting worried nods and glances from the guys.

I readied my gun and began firing. Some of those monsters fell with one bullet, others were a bit tougher. I didn't give up, though. I wouldn't let these guys down... I wouldn't let Newt down. By the time I ran out of bullets, only a few were left, around 10 or 12. I looked back at everyone. Despite them all trying their best to hide their fear, I could still see it in their eyes. I gave them a nod, and we charged. Some of them yelled while charging at the monsters with spears. Maybe it was their way of making themselves feel stronger than the cranks, but we all knew too well that cranks scream right back. 

We got by without leaving a single crank alive. Not many of us were injured, but we had one fallen soldier. It shames me that I never got to know his name. I blame myself for these kids being put back in here. Teresa wanted to find out what makes me and Thomas different. The other kids didn't deserve to be put through this. But we all know Teresa. She's cold-hearted. She told Thomas that she would do it again if she had the chance. He should've taken that as a warning. That bitch has always been on WCKD's side. I don't even see her as someone who suffered through the maze or suffered through WCKD like the rest of us. I see her as a stone-cold bitch with no remorse for treating us like some sort of lab rats. 

I was so lost in my own thoughts that I couldn't hear the guys and Brenda yelling about some code. I walked over there to help them. Everyone seemed so frantic, yelling all at once. They were all crowded around a large screen in the once griever-hole. I had to push my way through everyone. "Calm down!" I yelled over their voices. They were quick to become silent. "Now, what's the problem?" I asked. "A code, or riddle of some sort. Like a password to get out. WE can't figure it out," Mihno answered. "What does it say?" I asked. He stepped aside to let me read the words on the screen. 

'The only reason you left, the reason you came back. Went on a journey, to come back with something you treasure. What holds everyone together, despite drastic measures.'

"Isn't it obvious?" I asked. "Not really," Thomas said in frustration. "How? The answer is Newt," I said, motioning an arm out to where he was standing. "How were we supposed to guess that?" Gally scoffed. "It was for me... I'm the reason you're all here. I guess she wanted me to be the reason you got out too," I said. Thomas quickly typed Newt's name into the screen. The screen turned red followed by a beep. That wasn't the code. "Guess you're not the reason we get out after all," someone in the crowd grumbled. "Just.. give me a second," I mumbled, then it hit me. I walked over to Newt and spun him around, standing on my tip-toes and pulling down the collar of his shirt to look at the back of his neck. "The glue. That's the answer," I exclaimed to Thomas, which he quickly typed in.

GREEN

ding

A/N

oof y'all sorry fr not updating. let me know if y'all want me to keep going with the story