Chapter 29

As I was falling, I reached out and grabbed onto the landing skids. Teresa was squirming and screaming, her nails digging into my skin. I yelled in pain and "accidentally" kicked her in the face, causing her to plummet to her death. She could have been a friend. She was such a pretty face, but she had such an ugly heart, my job was done. I heard sobbing coming from the helicopter and realized that Newt didn't know I'm still alive. His cries were loud, and it broke my heart to hear him like that, but I had no energy to try and yell to him. I used all my strength to pull myself onto the landing skids and stay there while the helicopter flies.

I had fallen asleep. I don't know how I stayed on there. When I woke up, all I saw beneath me was water. I screamed.

[Newt's POV]

"What in the bloody hell was that?!" I shouted, hearing a scream. "It was probably a whale," Thomas mumbled, flipping over because he was trying to sleep. "HELP ME!!!" It was another scream. "Does that REALLY  sound like a whale to you?!" I yelled, "(Y/N)?! Where are you?!" I yelled. "I'm down here on the landing skid, HELP ME! " she shouted. I looked around for some way to help her. The only thing I could find was a rope. I threw it down and held onto it tight. "Jump onto this!" I yelled. "ARE YOU CRAZY ?!" she shouted at me. "Just do it! It's the only thing we have!" I yelled. She didn't say anything back. I felt a jolt of weight on the rope. She made it. I was trying my hardest to pull her up, but I was weak and gravity was getting the best of me. Gally quickly rushed to my side and we pulled her up. She fell into my arms and I began to cry. I held her as tight as I could.

Once we both calmed down, I pulled away from her slightly to check if she was injured. "Are you okay?" I asked, she just nodded in response. "How long were you down there?" was my next question. "Ever since Teresa and I slipped. I kicked her off of me. She's gone now," she responded. I didn't say anything back. I just pulled her to my chest and held her tight.

[Your POV]
Back at the "safe haven", really I still see it as my island and home, I relaxed in a hammock and read some book. I was exhausted and wasn't really paying attention to what I was reading, though. "Mija?" I heard Jorge say, causing my to snap my head up. "Hey," I said calmly with a smile. Jorge always considered me a daughter to him, and he was like a father to me. "I'm proud of you, you know," he said, smiling. "For what?" He took a seat beside me. "For helping those boys," he said, "it takes a brave person to go to those lengths for someone." I stared off where the guys were goofing off and throwing sand at each other. "Well you know why I did it," I said, turning my gaze back to Jorge. He nodded. "I know you love the boy, just be careful," he said, his fatherly instincts kicking in which caused me to laugh. "I'll be fine. You know me, I'm tough." It was silent for a couple minutes between the two of us. Just distant chattering and the sound of the waves crashing. "What if we went back?" Jorge asked, my gaze snapping to him. Did I just hear that right? "What?" I questioned. He shrugged, looking off. "I don't feel right here. Just think of it. You, me, and Brenda all heading back. You can heal so many people, mi hija. We aren't the only people left on the planet, you know-" I interrupted him, "But we're safe. Isn't that what matters? You and Brenda aren't immune. What if we got separated and one of you got turned and I couldn't find you? Huh? What would happen then?"
"It won't happen. Trust me, okay? We'll stay safe, we'll stick together. I have the helicopter landed pretty far away from the camp, we can leave when everyone is asleep. No one will notice we're gone. (Y/N), I know you don't want to leave him, but he's safe here. You can save the world," he said. He sounded really convincing, but maybe that was just because of how much I trust him. "Have you talked to Brenda about it?" I asked. "Yes." I took one more glance at Newt. He seemed happy just goofing off with his friends. I don't want to leave him, but Jorge has a point. I could save so many people. So many families.... "Okay... I'll do it."