Chapter 38

-Your POV-

Rosa didn't talk much. She just seemed to listen, and understand. I have no idea how she's lasted long without anyone to help take care of her. It had been hours since Thomas and Newt ran off. We were currently looking for both of them. I had Rosa close to my side, her small hand linked with mine. I was zoned out completely, just following the tracks of Gally and Minho. In all honesty, I think we were all zoned out, except Rosa. I knew this when she tugged at my hand. I looked down to see what she needed. "There's a pitiful loser crying by that trash can," she said in a whisper. I looked over to where she was trying to subtly point in his direction. The crying loser was Thomas. I mentally and physically cringed. At this point, I was definitely not the right person to comfort him. "Wait for me while I tell Minho," I said to her, quickly running ahead to catch up to Minho. "What's up?" he said, putting an arm around my shoulders. "Rosa found Thomas," I said and nodded back in the direction of where Thomas was. He whistled to catch everyone else's attention and waves them to turn around and follow him.

We walked over to where Thomas was as a group, but I made sure to stay behind everyone else. Minho was talking to him, but I was too zoned out to know what he was saying. Thomas was obviously being difficult and Minho was getting frustrated. It definitely took some convincing, but Minho got Thomas to come with us. He wouldn't even look at me, and definitely wouldn't speak to me. Now we had to find Newt, which certainly wasn't as easy. We asked around, giving people a description of him. Everyone seemed to have no clue who he was or what we're looking for. Things changed though when one lady made a comment while we were asking around. "You mean the wanderer? Looked lost. He asked for some rum and I gave it to him. He walked towards the back alleyways." I looked at her in confusion. She couldn't be right. Newt isn't that type of person.. or at least he wasn't that type of person. I miss when everything was simple. Before Minho found me, before the journey, before my best friend died, before the fights, before I ran off, and before WCKD ever existed. I just wish that for one minute things could be normal, but they can't. And they never will be.

She was right. After walking around for what felt like forever, trying to deny what that lady had told us, we decided to check that alleyway. There he was. He was just sitting there with a flask in his hand, and a bunch of guys, younger and older than him, were doing the same thing. "What the hell, Newt??" Gally picked him up by the back of his shirt. "Let go of me!" he slurred out angrily, his accent was always thicker whenever he got drunk. "You're acting like a fucking baby," Gally snapped back, snatching the flask out of his hand. "You don't know what it's like to love someone, Gally. It's not fucking easy!" he shouted. I jumped at the rage in his voice. Gally remained calm, though, and kept a straight face.

When Newt landed on the ground, I thought Gally would have been the one standing over him with a clenched fist. But it was Minho. "Dude?!" I yelled out in shock. He stood over Newt with a smirk. "That's what he gets for punching me," he shrugged it off. Newt was out cold on the ground. Half from Minho's punch, the other half from the alcohol. I knelt down beside him and brushed his hair out of his face. I checked his pulse to make sure Minho didn't kill him, but his pulse was normal. "It's been an exhausting day for them both. Maybe we should find a place to camp out," I said, giving Thomas an apologetic glance. "I'll get him," Frypan said as he lifted Newt up with ease. If I wasn't in such a state of shock, I'd probably laugh. But I was hurting physically, mentally, and emotionally. Rosa walked up to me, gripping onto my finger with her small hand. "Are you okay?" she asked softly and I smiled. "Yeah I'll be alright," I gave her a small smile before continuing to walk.

The night was long. I couldn't get any sleep. Rosa was passed out near Jorge. Thomas was curled up near the fire we had made. Gally, Minho, and Fry were all snoring. Brenda was near me, asleep with a coat covering her ears to drown out the snores. And Newt was beside me, sleeping quietly and peacefully. I studied his face while he slept. He's such a beautiful boy. His skin is so smooth, and his hair is so soft. I can't help but admire him every time he's around. I know he goes through a lot, and I hate to admit that some of it has to do with me. I can't help but think about him constantly. I really miss what we had before things got complicated. Am I a creep for staring at him while he's asleep? Maybe...

Yes.
Maybe I should look away... But I like looking at him. Okay, I'll turn back. Wait... he's staring back at me this time.

A/N
I really have nothing to say about this y'all-
👩‍🦼💨