Begin Again

Dyl inhaled the displeasing aroma of the school air as he stepped out of his car. Mud, grass and rotting wood melded together as he stepped onto the cement and walked towards his classroom. He didn't expect to see friends, he only expected to go through his classes and walk to the local coffee shop to waste time and be lazy before his mom came to pick him up.

His first period jumped right into math notes, which he took diligently and made sure to kiss ass to his teacher yet again, who would appreciate it and in return give him yet again another phenomenal grade. His second period was what seemed like miles away when it was only just a few short minutes, down a flight of stairs and a few steps outside to another building. He played a game, keeping his gaze off of a new boy who had seemed to be taken by Dyl somehow. Even after he introduced himself as Dylan to his teacher. The game consisted of rolling a die and recording the sum on a sheet of paper which gave you results as to where you've ended up in life.

He was bankrupt, single, jobless, living in a mansion and he rode the bus with nothing more than a high school diploma and an overall gpa of a 2.0. This was nothing near the truth but the game was entertaining nonetheless and also part of the curriculum which was a UC approved course.

His third period was back in the same building, simply his literary class, which had nothing worth spending time talking about. Fourth period was economics and then homeroom. After homeroom he would be free to leave campus.

A week had passed since school was back in session during this hot and muggy August. It was the first senior meeting of the year. Dylan sat in his seat, listening to the instructors intently as they spoke of important upcoming events. Dian whipped out her cell phone and began playing a game.

"What game is that?" Dyl asked her.

"A fun one." She shrugged, biting into a candy bar, turning her phone away from Dyl 's visual. He frowned and returned his gaze to the speakers up front. He could hear her nails tapping against the iPhone screen, it was irritating.