After so long (pt3)

"Honey?"

"Jess! How was your flight?"

"It was good... good. How was your first day at work?"

"Tiring... but I'm gonna get used to it. Let me tell you what, it's so different the way we work in New York than in LA"

"Well, then you should be in bed" 

"Yeah... so what's going on up there?" 

"We just had dinner, Hannah and Walker are here along with Roxanne" 

"That's good. How's Sam?" 

"He's resting now" Jessica says and turns to see him, she is inside his bedroom. Sam is sleeping or at least pretending to be asleep. 

"Tell him I said hi" 

"Of course" 

"Alright... I got to go now. I love you" 

Jessica lowers her voice "I love you too" 

"Goodnight " 

"Bye" 
Jessica hangs up the phone and turns to look at Sam. She takes a big breath and walks towards his bed taking a seat on the corner. 

She stayed there for a couple of minutes. Thinking. It was so weird seeing him like this. He is Sam, her Sam, the man who was once full of life, he was now lying on the bed. He was barely able to write and that was killing her. She knew that writing was Sam's life, his way of saying things when he couldn't talk. She turned and looked at his pile of papers... 

Tears were falling down but she made no sound. "I can't do this anymore" she thought and stood up. The moment she opened the door she heard Sam's voice. "Jessie?" 

She tried to wipe her tears as fast as she could and turned around with a smile that brightened her face. 

"I thought you were asleep" she said as she was returning to her seat. 

" Indeed, I was. Your phone woke me up" 

"My phone? Oh, I'm sorry. How are you feeling Sammy?" 

"You want the truth?" 

"From you... always" 

"Then not so good. But could you do me a favor?" 

"Of course, what is it?" 

"Help me stand up. I'm sick of laying all day long in this fucking bed" 

Jessica chuckles and stands up, offering her hand to Sam. 

                                                               ---------
As they were walking down the stairs, Hannah noticed them and immediately stood up to fix the couch for her father. Roxanne was inside the kitchen and Walker was "reading" a book. 

Jessica helped Sam sit on the couch and adjust the pillows in order to be more comfortable. 

"Thanks" Sam said and smiled at her. Jessica sat across him, next to her son. 

It was awkward, a few moments of silence passed until Sam took the lead. 

"Well, isn't it nice?" he said, smiling at them. 

They didn't know how to react, Jessica leaned forward and smiled. 

"Yes Sam... it is" 

"So Jessie, what's new in your life, got anyone?" 

Jessica's smile disappeared suddenly. She promised herself never to talk about her relationships with her exes. Especially after Misha. He didn't take it well when she told him about Sam.  

"No... I don't" 

Walker looked at Hannah. Every time they would gather like family, Sam would always say something to ruin the atmosphere.  Of course, now no one could say anything to him. 

"Walker, bring me something to drink" 

"Vodka?" he asked and Jessica nodded. 

He stood up and Hannah followed him, leaving the two of them alone. 

"You're lying Jessie, I know you... I heard you talking on the phone" 

She was starting to get angry. Of course, she loved him, with all her heart but she never told him anything about his girlfriends. She didn't say anything. She just smiled. 

"What's his name?" 

"I was talking with Susan" 

"Susan who?" 

"Susan Sarandon. You worked with her." 

"And you said...I heard you saying..." he froze "Wait, are you two...?" he started laughing "No Jessie, really?" 

She looked at him and stood up. He was staring at her face, she had the exact face when he said that the gay scene in Paris she had was very charming. She did the same face and stormed out of the room calling him an asshole. 

Jessica didn't say anything this time, she started leaving when Sam caught her hand as she was passing in front of him.

"Jess... I know I fucked up what we had." 

"I'm going to bed" 

"What about your drink?" 

"Wrapped it up and give it your girlfriend as a valentine's gift," she said and turned to look at him. 

He started laughing. "You remember it, don't you" 

She smiled, after all this time she knew exactly how to handle him. "Of course. You came on Valentine's day with two bottles of wine and a tape. Goodnight Sam" 

"Night, Jess" Sam said while laughing.   

She walked upstairs and into the guest's room. She changed her clothes and fell into bed. She closed her eyes but couldn't sleep, she was so mad at Sam but still she cared about him. She couldn't lose him but there was nothing that she could do. 

Jessica sits up and reaches for her pack of cigarettes and her phone, she didn't think about it much and immediately called Susan. 

"Jess? "

"Sue, sorry I wake you up"

"It's okay, I can't sleep anyway. Is everything alright?" 

Jessica takes a minutes before answering "Sam knows about us" 

"Oh... " 

"Yeah" 

"I thought you wanted to keep it private, just you and me." 

"No, I still want that. He heard me while we were talking" 

"So? Can't two friends tell each other I love you?" 

"I'm not trying to prove him that we're friends! I want him to know"

"Oh... I thought...."

"I just called you because... well... I don't know why I called" 

"So if Sam knows can I tell it to my kids too?" 

"You think I should tell it to Hannah and Walker now that we're here?" 

"Yes, I think you should... before Sam tells them" 

"Alright, yeah." 

"I'm glad you called" 

"Really?" Jessica says and chuckles

"Yeah, I know there were days we slept apart but we were so close, I could come over whenever I wanted " 

"I'll be back before you know it!" 

"So when are you coming?" 

"In three weeks. I want to go to my cabin for a couple of days, and when I'm back we're going together to Minnesota, okay?" 

"I would love that" 

"So... I'll talk to my kids first thing in the morning!"

"Jess?"

"Yes?" 

"Answer me and be honest! Do you really want to tell it?" 

"... I want to Sue. You are part of my life now" 

"Aren't you afraid?" 

"Well... a little, you?" 

"No, not at all. I know exactly how my kids will react... all five of them..." 

"God... two of them are your dogs, right?" 

"Of course! They should know... although I'm worried about Rigby, she's an addict I don't know how she will react" 

"Well let Penny tell her" 

"Oh I could do that!" 

They both burst out laughing

"You better sleep now, Sue" 

"Yeah... you too" 

"We'll talk tomorrow" 

"Goodnight baby" 

"Goodnight"