TWENTY-THREE

|23

|23.| FAMILY CRISIS

THE NEXT MORNING WAS LIKE A REGULAR MONDAY WHERE PEOPLE DREADED IT. Cora's eyes flutter open and she sits up, looking to her side to see Jade sleeping next to her. She allowed her friend to stay over for the night, just so it wouldn't be such a hassle to go all the way back to where she lives. Cora was sleepless throughout the whole night since her older brother decided to bring a girl home. But not just any girl, more like an Original vampire. Possibly the worst to have a room next to his, especially when he does decide to bring a girl home.

She hears Damon's door open along with he and Rebekah talking down the hallway. Cora sighs in relief and lays back in her bed, wanting to go back to sleep, but now she's wide awake so what's the point? She gets up and goes to her closet, choosing an outfit for the day and lets Jade sleep in. The sister walks downstairs and she can hear Elena's voice.

"Did you stop taking vervain?" The doppelgänger asked Damon as he buttons up his shirt.

"You think Rebekah had to compel me?" Damon asks. Cora shakes her head at the two starting up early in the morning and she goes to the kitchen to get coffee.

"What's wrong with you?" Elena scoffs. "She tried to kill me less than 48 hours ago."

"Can't we just move past that, Elena?" Damon says.

"So is that how it's gonna be now? I hurt your feelings, and this is how you lash out at me?" Elena asks while Damon grabs himself a drink.

"Well, maybe, for once, something I did had nothing to do with you," Damon holds up his glass and drinks it.

"Seriously? In the morning," Cora asks and walks inside with her coffee cup.

"Since both of you are here now," Elena starts off. "You should know that Esther's planning on killing her entire family. She's linked them all together with a spell. Whatever happens to one happens to all of them."

"What?" Cora asks concerned.

"That's great," Damon says happily. "Klaus will finally be dead. We win. Well, Cora, not really."

Damon says before he drinks his bourbon. Cora and Elena both give him a look of disbelief since Elena thinks Elijah, the noble one, doesn't deserve to die and Cora thinks a select few doesn't deserve to die either.

"Why do you both look like someone shot a panda bear?" Damon asks the two girls.

"Because to kill Klaus, she has to kill all of them, including Elijah, and he doesn't deserve this," Elena answers.

"I'm supposed to care about Elijah?" Damon gives her a look.

"Why not? He helped your ass that night during dinner when he could've turned his back on you for his brother," Cora snaps.