Chapter 30: Dum-Dum-Da-Dum...

James POV

I grinned as I felt the box in my pocket. I saw Sirius clipping a thin chain around Waverly’s neck. I smiled at them, and winked at Sirius. He grinned, and nodded. He knew what I was going to do…

I grabbed Lily around the waist and she squealed. My parents laughed, and I smiled widely at them. They smiled, and left.

“James! I was having a conversation!” She hissed at me, her face tinting red.

“Well, I need to talk to you,” I said in her ear, she shivered. I smiled, she took my hand as I ran through my house. She was giggling as we ran up the spiral stair case in the back of the house. I stopped at the top, and pushed the trap door to the roof open. I poked my head out, and waved my wand. I pulled Lily up, and she gasped.

With that simple wand flick, the small glass arboretum assembled, and lily’s where still growing up the sides and walls. “Oh my God,” Lily sighed, tracing the petals on a pink lily.

“You like it?” I asked, anxious.

“James, I love it!” she smiled, falling on the petal pink velvet sofa in the center. I took a deep breath, and did the thing I had been thinking about since I was twelve.

Lily POV

I was smiling at the lily’s in the glass arboretum, and looking at the clear blue. James was shifting on his feet, and fumbling with his pockets.

“Are you ok?” I asked, getting up and gently taking his hand.

“Lily…Marie…Evan,” he said slowly, fidgeting with his glasses and fixing his hair, his deep hazel eyes bored into mine, and he took a deep breath. He fell to one knee…

“James,” I breathed, looking at him from the ground.

“Lily I’ve been in love with you since I met you,” he started. “I know, I know, we’ve only been going out for a few months, but I’ve loved you for years. And I’ll spend the rest of my life, showing you just how much,” I was crying now, wiping away the tears with the back of my hand.    

“So, Lily,” he said, grinning. “Will you marry me?” My eyes widened as I looked at the ring in the red box. I fumbled over my words, and stared at him.

“Lily?” he asked, tilting his head to one side. “Is this a no?” he asked, his eyes filling with hurt.

“Yes!” I said quickly.

“Yes no? Or yes yes?” he asked.

“No!” I said quickly, mildly confused.

“No?” he asked, his voice broke, and he cleared his throat. He stood up quickly, mumbling, and he wiped his eyes with the back of his hand.