Chapter 38: The Ball

Sirius POV

I was fumbling with my bow tie, as was James.

Only I was trying to tie mine, his clip on kept popping off.

"Did Muggles invent these?" James asked, frustrated.

"Why?" I asked, getting my thumb caught in the knot of my tie.

"They are the most frustrating thing since Lily!" he said, finally getting his tie strait.

"Oh, I'm the frustrating one?" I heard Lily ask from the girls dorm.

"It took me years to get you to go out with me!" he complained, yelling up at his girlfriend.

"Well I said yes didn't I?" she yelled down.

"I DON'T WANT TO GO!" I heard Waverly scream at Lily.

"TO DAMN BAD!" she hollered back.

"They scare me sometimes," Peter squeaked, tilting his fat head to one side.

"Canât agree more Pete," I sighed, slapping his back.

"I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you." I heard Waverly moan as Lily dragged her to the common room. Me and James looked up at the same time, and had similar expressions. Jamesâs bow tie unclipped with a Plink! and fell to the floor. I let my hands fall to my side as I smiled at Waverly.

Her dress fit her perfectly. It was sleeveless, and had white and light blue beads on the top of the dress, with a darker blue band across her thin waist. The floaty sky blue material fell along her hips and brushed the floor. The dress just made her look prettier than she already did. Damn. She toddled a bit as she stood. Ha. Lily made her wear heels. Her pale white/golden blonde hair was curled and pulled back to show her annoyed face.

James was smiling stupidly as Lily clipped his tie on for him. She looked good in her petal pink dress, had to admit it. Waverly was playing with the ring I gave her on her necklace as she argued with Remus. He was in pretty bad shape, physically and emotionally about the stunt I pulled.

"But I don't even have a date! How do I go to a Valintines Day ball with no date?" Waverly whined.

"Neither does Sirius!" He said. Aw, don't drag me into this! She made a face at him, and her eyes flickered over to me. I smiled weakly, and fumbled with my tie.

"This is just sad!" She huffed a few minutes later. She pushed my hands out of the way, and tied my bow tie for me. I smiled down at her, she was taller with her heels, but she still only came up to my chin. Are all Americans this short? Or just my American?

Wait! She wasn't mine! I kept shouting that at myself.

"For all the times you tied my tie," she smiled, pulling it strait. I grinned, her navy eyes looked bigger and brighter. Lily had rimmed them with smudgy black, and her long eyelashes looked longer and darker too.

"No payment was needed, but thank you," I mumbled, she laughed quietly, and looked over her shoulder as Alice called her over. She was bouncing around in her peach princess dress. I smiled, and headed to the Great Hall, and avoided all the girls I could. Word spread fast that I, Sirius Black was going to a ball alone.

I found a table, and sat down, drinking a butterbeer. I felt someone come and sit next to me. I looked over, and grimaced. Another Ex.

This one was a Ravenclaw, Olivia, Olivia-something. She was in a hot pink dress with long sleeves, and was extremely low cut. I rolled my eyes, and looked back at the door, waiting for Waverly and the rest of them to come in and save me.