CHAPTER 27 Seriously?

CHAPTER 27           Seriously?

RUSTY'S POV

I made it just in time. Phew! I'm glad Sam didn't question me anymore. Well, there was no time for questions anyway. As soon as I got here, everyone's been directing us to do this and that.

As we were about to walk the aisle in the auditorium, I looked at her. She looks confident although I knew how nervous she was. Her gown really fits her well. It has a slit that goes all the way above her knee, which shows off her smooth leg as she walks. I am completely blown away by how dazzling she looks tonight. Her make-up is not too thick and gave her a natural glow. She may not be the most gorgeous one out of all the participants, but for some reason, she shines.

My heart skipped a beat when she held on my arm. Her closeness made my heart beat faster. She looked at me and caught me staring at her. Oh boy, I could feel my ears getting warm.

"Rusty, dahan dahan lang ang paglalakad." she said while we were walking the aisle.

Is she serious? She's the one who's walking fast and dragging me behind her. I just scratched my head and chuckled.

I felt that all eyes were on us as we reached the stage. This marks the end of the walk. All of a sudden, I'm saddened. It's time for me to leave her. Then I remembered the flower I was holding. Before I left the stage, I gave the rose to her. Impulsively, I kissed her hand too. That move seemed to shaken her up as seen on her reaction. I didn't know where that came from either. I just had the urge to do so.

As I went down the stage, I looked at her. She was still standing in the middle of the stage, somehow... stunned? I just smiled. She looks so cute right now.

"Rusty, we gotta go." Theodore's suddenly behind me.

Oh, Daphne's party! Darn! Why do I have to go back again? But the gentleman in me just wouldn't allow me to just leave her in the air. Even if I didn't want to, I knew I had to go back.

I looked at Sam one more time before Theodore and I left.

__________

"Oh thank goodness, you're back!" Kokeng said as soon as we got back at the party. "Oh, you wouldn't believe how disappointed Daphne was when she found out you left."

"Well, I told you to sub for me."

"Ayaw niya. Gusto niya ikaw. She changed the program just so she can wait for you," Kokeng replied with disappointment in his voice.

"What? So, you mean to say she changed the program just so I can still be her escort?"

"Well, of course! Where have you been, honey?" Of course, it's Daphne.

"Oh. I went to school.... for the pageant."

"You had me waiting here! You owe me one," Daphne replied petulantly. "Well, at least you're back. They can finally introduce me. Now, come with me and be my escort."

"And now. The moment we've all been waiting for all night," the emcee started. "Let me introduce to you, the princess of the night..... Daphne Reyes! She is escorted by Rusty del Torro, which happens to be her boyfriend. Sorry guys, our princess has already found her prince."

What the?????!!!!!!!!! boytfriend???

"What's going on, Daphne? You know very well that I'm not you boyfriend."

"Yea, but they don't know that. Can you just pretend you're my boyfriend for tonight? And besides, you owe me." She gave e a pat on my shoulder and an evil grin.

I'm dumbfounded. If I knew this was gonna happen, I shouln't have come back.

I couldn't argue with her more because the spotlight was already on us and we began walking together. People were clapping and cheering. The guys, on the other hand, were not too happy to see Daphne with me. I guess they all wanted to have a chance with her. I wish I can tell them right now that I am not really her boyfriend but I don't want to embarrass her like that.

We continued our walk which seemed like forever. I looked at Daphne. She was smiling like she's the happiest girl in the world. Sigh.

___________

I finally got home. Took my shoes off and lay down on my bed. What a very eventful day! I was at two places tonight. It would have been better if Kokeng did not butt in.

I smiled at the thought of the events with Sam. I touched my chest and felt it. It's pounding to the fast beat of my heart. This feeling is becoming more and more uncontrollable. This feeling became heavier the moment I realised that ...... I like Sam. I still can't believe that I actually like her. Yes, it took me a while to admit it, but Theodore was right. The moment that I followed his advice, I felt happier and free.

I guess Sam already caught my attention the day I accidentally threw the ice water on her(please refer to chapter 3). Thanks to Kokeng again.

At first, it was just admiration. I guess I've always been a fan of hers. But then, more mishaps have lead me to notice her more. There were also quite a few times that I caught her looking at me. Does she like me too?

I reached under my pillow to grab something. I looked at the note that she gave me after the singing contest. Along with it is a picture. It's the picture I secretly took from the bulletin board. As soon as they put the pictures up, I hurriedly checked them out. Of course I was able to pick the best picture out of her gazillion photos. Instantly, I took it when no one else was watching. But after a while, that Rolf dude came up too and checked her photos out. He gave me a weird look so I left him there after. As I was chilling under the mango tree that afternoon, I noticed that Sam was upset about the pictures. I just overheard that she couldn't find any decent photos of her and that she only had so few. At first, I couldn't believe what I heard. How could that be when I saw her pictures myself? Trust me, she filled pretty much the whole board with her pictures on it. Then it dawned on me. Rolf was there when I left. Could he heve bought most of it? That made my insides boiling. I'm sure he likes her. The question is, is he courting her?

Now I remembered that time when I saw Sam and Rolf together. Actually I've seen them together several times but the moment that affected me the most was when he took her out the gate and put his arm around her. I couldn't stand that sight! That's why I was in such a bad mood that afternoon during practice.

I looked at the picture again. In it was a picture of Sam singing her heart out while her eyes were closed. I like this one the most because her face was full of emotion. It was almost like I could hear and feel her sing again by just looking at the photo. I looked at it one last time before putting it back under my pillow.

I was all smiles while I was laying down on my bed, preparing to fall into a sweet dream when suddenly I remembered something. My eyes opened hastily. Oh shoot. What am I gonna do with Daphne? I hope tonight's insignificant events with Daphne do not affect my chances with Sam.