Chapter 2

JADE'S POV

Standing in my door sill staring at me with confusion is a mid height boy with pale white skin and brunette hair dyed blonde at the tips that are combed into a quiff.

"Um hi." I choke. His face is handsome but the way he stands there all confused is giving me the creeps. I know this can't be my cousin Alex because he couldn't possibly have turned this attractive since I last saw him 3 years ago. Just as he opens his lips to speak, my cousin Alex comes into view and his eyes widen when he sees me.

"Oh, sorry I had no idea you guys would be here this early" Alex says. It's 6:30 pm, this isn't early. "This is my friend Niall." He explains. "Niall this is my cousin Jade. Uh. Her and her sister will be moving in with us."

"Why? Where are they from?" Niall asks Alex. His voice comes out unlike I expect. He has a funny accent of some sort. He can't be from the United States originally. I hope Alex doesn't say the words I know he has to say. He makes eye contact with me and sees the message in my eyes.

"Uh, they're from down south." Is all he says. I let out a relieved sigh. More boys show up in the door way behind them. One is tan with darker black hair and the other is less tan with short hair and a bit of facial hair as well. When did Alex get such attractive friends?

"Who is that?" The one with the dark hair says. "Whoa Alex, is this your girl?" The other says with a teasing wink. "Why didn't you tell us you had a girlfriend?"

Niall leans into the wall, laughing as if the most hilarious thing ever just occurred. His laugh is foolishly contagious. I laugh at Alex's embarrassment until he pretend gags and tells everyone I'm his cousin.

"Alright assholes, move along." He punches Niall who is still laughing and they all proceed down the hall after Alex says "catch ya later Jade." I hear a series of "hi"s as they pass what must be Jenny's room. I'll definitely have to thank Alex for not making a scene about mine and Jenny's situation. That would have been an awkward moment. It definitely makes up for him bringing a bunch of friends over on a day he must know is already hard on us.

I lay back down but I am interrupted again by Jenny. "Aunt Marie wants to take us shopping. She says it gets more chilly up here than where we used to live and we should pick up some cozier clothes. Even if it is summer I guess the weather is really bipolar up here."

"Alright." I'm happy to see she doesn't have her phone in her hand. Now that I think about it, I haven't checked my phone all day. I plan to not ruin that and I leave my iPhone on my desk before heading out with Jenny.

The mall is smaller than the one I used to go to back at my old home but as long as they have a Forever 21 I'll survive. As we walk in, I remember how Forever 21 hurts my eyes with it's overwhelming lights. I love how they always have sales and I automatically head toward that direction. My sister goes a different way but my aunt follows me. As I pull out short crop tops I can feel her judging eyes and I force myself to fake grimaces and shove them back onto the railing.

"You know, maybe these won't do. I'm sure you have a lot of these already. We need to get you more things that cover up and keep you warm. Yeah?" My aunt smiles. I can tell she doesn't entirely approve of crop tops. At the moment I'm wearing a black one with high wasted blue jean shorts and flip flops. I imagine the other outfits packed in my bag that my aunt may find erotic and I bite my lip.

"You're right. What do you suggest?" I'm scared as she picks out scratchy sweaters that I can't imagine why they'd be in this store. I nervously reject one after the other and try to keep my impatience from over flowing when I hear chuckling on the other side of the clothing rack.

When I look over, there are two girls that look away and obviously try to hide their humor. Both are average height brunettes with natural tans. I can't help but admire the highlight affect one of them has as well as an ombré-ish tone. I clear my throat loud enough for them to hear and the ombré girl turns around but quickly turns away when her eyes make contact with mine. The other one laughs at her and whispers something that makes her laugh more. If I wasn't just standing here with my aunt, I would definitely say something. They walk away and I choose to let them go.

"What about this?" My aunt continues not noticing my silent staring attack. I look back to see a sweater that definitely tops the previous ten in ugliness.

To my rescue, Jenny comes with five decent looking pieces of "cozy" clothing. After asking where she got them I go to the area and pick two jackets and two long sleeved shirts I never thought I'd ever have to wear.

When we get back home I head straight up to my room and lay out my new clothes on my bed. That wasn't so bad. I begin to hear banging from another room and walk out ready to tell Jenny she needs to keep it down but then I remember Alex has his friends over. It's almost 9:30 pm, don't these boys have their own homes?

I start returning to my room when a door down the hall swings open and I hear running from behind me.

"Whoa watch out!" It's the dark haired guy. His shoulder bumps into mine and I basically tumbled into my room. I pick myself up only to throw myself back down again to dodge a soccer ball flying into my bedroom. It bounces off one of my luggage bags causing it to fall and then the ball rolls under my bed.

Footsteps approach and when I look up it's that blonde kid again.