Chapter 41

3 Years later

JADE'S POV

People weren't kidding when they said you will miss your high school years once you hit college. Having a job sounded so exciting, but now I wish I was back in my room where making sure my grades didn't drop below a B and that winning my next soccer match was my only commitment.

I raise my paint brush to get the corners of my bedroom wall covered with maroon paint. I've rented an apartment with my childhood friend Lani and we're just now decorating the place.

"How's the painting going?" Lani kicks open the door, carrying in one of my large boxes. Shes in black sweats, a white tank top, and her blonde hair is up in a messy bun.

"Good and-" I say but then I hear her scream and a large crash follows, causing me to drop my brush. I squeal as it falls, hoping it doesnt hit my clothes and I sigh with relief seeing that there are newspapers covering the floor. I turn around and see Lani on her hands and knees on the floor trying to pick everything up. I climb down from my ladder to help.

My books, journals, accessories, and to my horror, magnets are scattered on the floor. I begin to collect my magnets in a panic hoping they're all in one piece and when I realize a couple aren't, I try so hard to supress my anger.

I spot a frame that I made of a picture of my parents laying on the floor thankfully not damaned. Lani picks up one of my posters and I gasp as she reveals that the Ireland one has broken into three pieces.

Niall Horan. The guy who loved me during the summer going into senior year. That was about three years ago but it still stabs me hard to see his gift shattered before me. I tried looking him up, finding him on social media, anything but it was impossible to find him as if he has disappeared off of the face of the earth. The same goes for my parents, its like they're turning back into ghosts. I think about the note that I still keep in my phone case.

"I'm so so so sorry." Lani apologizes over and over and this reminds me of a moment.

"It's just... the collision broke my favorite magnet." The words come out as if they are scripted.

"You can glue it back together." I look up at her and feel my eyes stinging as I stare at her with her dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. This is too nostalgic for me to handle.

"Yeah I know, it's fine." I shake off the feeling and put the pieces with the rest of my broken magnets to glue back together later.

NIALL'S POV

I can feel the bags on my eyes getting heavier and a yawn growing in my throat. I've been driving for 8 hours with only a quick fifteen minute stop to drop my things off at a nearby hotel. I rub my face with my hand and cringe, I really need to shave. It's June, scorching hot, and I don't have any sunglasses because I'm a dumb ass and left them in my hotel room. I reach a stop light and check my directions again.

Left on Magnolia.

Thats the last direction before "your destination is to your right." I follow down Magnolia and find myself in front of a blue apartment complex.

JADE'S POV

I put on the last touches of my red lipstick before grabbing my purse and heading out into my living room, which for now is just a black couch in the middle of the carpeted room surrounded by white walls. The left wall has a sliding door that leads to the porch and another side, the right side from where I am, leads to the kitchen.

"Now this is what I call living lavish." Luke is laying across the couch with his legs hanging over the arms and he's on his phone.

"Shut it Hemmings." Lani yells from the kitchen. I can hear her cooking something and when I walk in of course Calum is there taking "samples" of her food.