Your Nicer, Happier Self

POV: Sam

"Love!" Demi yelled when she saw me waiting outside of the building for her. She ran at me and jumped up.

"I'm proud of you." I kissed her forehead as I wrapped my arms around her so she wouldn't fall. She wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck.

"Thank you," I could feel her smile in my neck.

"Where do you want to go?" I placed a soft and quick kiss on her shoulder.

"Home." She lifted her head out of my neck and looked me in the eyes.

"Where is your house?" I raised a brow.

Demi giggled. "No Sam, home is where you are."

—————————————————————

"You know, since Wolanda, or whatever is name was, happened I didn't get to meet your parents." I spoke before thinking. Damnit, her parents are going to hate me.

"Wolanda?" Demi was laughing her ass off on my couch as I made dinner. Teagan was playing with Baymax on the carpet as she watched Mulan, but Demi ended up watching it with her.

"Yeah, Wolanda. It is his name right?" I raised a brow as I stirred the pot.

"Wilmer?" Demi was crying laughing. Like, she was literally wiping tears out of her eyes.

"Yeah, that guy who thought he could kill me, the indestructible warrior." I spoke in an overly confident tone and flexed my arms.

"Right," Demi rolled her eyes. "So my parents." She brought the topic back up. What was I thinking?

"The ones who will hate me." I nodded.

"They won't hate you Sam. It's impossible to hate you." Demi gave me a smile, but I raised a brow.

"Wanna ask someone on the street you don't know? They're scared shitless of Captain Ranklen." I nodded my head next door. "When they see me walk into a room they go from Saturday lounging to mom has the wooden spoon." I chuckled.

"Because they don't know you for you." She sighed as she stood up and sat on one of the bar stools.

I shrugged.

"My parents are going to love you." Demi gave me a serious look.

I took a deep breath. "When do you want me to meet them?"

"You see, I'm glad you brought this up, because I almost forgot to tell you that my parents and sisters are coming up to LA to come visit. Mainly meet you, but that's not the point." She giggled.

"Great, so they are coming to meet me." I sarcastically cheered. "Where are we getting together?" I raised a brow.

"I was looking at a new house for me, because I sold my previous one due to too many bad memories there, but since I can't find one yet it won't be there, obviously." She chuckled at her own statement. "So we're planning on going to the really nice Italian restaurant in the city."

I choked on my water. "The one where the prices are as much as my pay in a month?"

"How much do you get paid a month?" Demi raised her brows. "Not that it matters, but someone serving our country while getting shot at isn't an easy job."

I chuckled. "Roughly eleven grand a month. My guys get paid much less than that and it pisses me off." I gritted my teeth. Just because I'm the one giving directions doesn't mean I'm the reason we come back alive and get shit done. We are a team. A softball team cannot win with just a catcher. A football team cannot win with only a quarterback. A soccer team cannot win with only a goalie. You need a team to get shit done.